Discussion Board

Thread: MMF components

MMF components

Hi all

I want to send and recieve H.263 video in my application in realtime. So the embedded player in symbian won't do the trick because it can only play video when it is completely downloaded or opened (local buffer). Any suggestions how I can achieve this?

Can I write my own sink/source and use the built-in h.263-codec/format decoder for this task or do I have to implement this to. Anyone having som experience in putting different MMF-components together?

thanks
    henranto

Regular Contributor

Re: MMF components

hi henranto,

you need to write your RTSP client with SDP parser, if you want implement real time streaming in symbian verision difference from 9.1 (maybe i wrong about this once).

now i currently do the same work but i working up on a RTS of mpeg4, h.264, aac from Darwin, Kasena and etc RTSP Servers

if you have any engine realizing RTSP client, it's realy not so hardly to design you own MMF plugin (source [URL]).

if you've any questions, i'll be glad to help you find correct answer.

i've all of component's, wroted by us, and so i don't have any experience in using different components.

--
    Wbr, Yuri

Quote Originally Posted by henranto
    Hi all

I want to send and recieve H.263 video in my application in realtime. So the embedded player in symbian won't do the trick because it can only play video when it is completely downloaded or opened (local buffer). Any suggestions how I can achieve this?

Can I write my own sink/source and use the built-in h.263-codec/format decoder for this task or do I have to implement this to. Anyone having som experience in putting different MMF-components together?

thanks
    henranto

You mean that all I need to do is to write a source-plugin (focusing on the video decoding)? How do I connect my new source-plugin with an existing controller?

Read somewhere on symbian.com that you probably need a Symbian Devkit to develop MMF-plugins, just to be able to debug and get som "good" reference on the MMF-server-side, is this true, do you use the devkit in your development?

Thanks very much for your answer

/henranto

Regular Contributor

hi henranto,

at first:
    yes you need to create your own source plugin (or/and maybe format decode plugin) - i don't start creating of NetSource plugin - i will start it in a not so far future, now i finishing my work with RTSP engine, and debugging with help of simple console application
    but, i think you currently need to create both of them ( FormatDecode and Source plugin's, i means ), because after some data was parsed in your rtsp client engine, you need to create some datapath inside Controller with decoders according necessary media types. After OpenUrl was called from MMF client application (network streaming player), powerfull (very necessary) data going to the MMF Controller, this data containts parameters needed to setup and prepare your RTSP client to work. This data became into contoller as CMMFUrlSource object (after you've got this data you need to start your own source plugin).

in second:
    i've all of component's created by me (us team), and so i don't exactly know, about how to connect your source/format decode plugin's with existing necessary for work plugins ;(

in third:
    for creating MMF plugins and other programs for Sybmian, i use only SDK and Carbide (NDS) plugin for MS Visual Studio 6.0/7.0. I don't now any method for debugging some DLL's on a device... i don't use Emulator for debugging, my debugging methid is very simple: i use printf and fprintf to tracing all of i need of course as some macroses.

ps: DevKit - need for hardware code optimization, in general (i think).

--
    Wbr, Yuri

Quote Originally Posted by henranto
    You mean that all I need to do is to write a source-plugin (focusing on the video decoding)? How do I connect my new source-plugin with an existing controller?

Read somewhere on symbian.com that you probably need a Symbian Devkit to develop MMF-plugins, just to be able to debug and get som "good" reference on the MMF-server-side, is this true, do you use the devkit in your development?

Thanks very much for your answer

/henranto
    Last edited by shadow-2005; 2006-08-16 at 11:02.

Regular Contributor

I am using symbian 9.1, s60 sdk 3rd edition (emulator) for developing applications.Since now I have only played a 3gp file with CVideoPlayerUtility.

Here follows what i need --

1) Firstly i want to know the formats supported by my CVideoPlayerUtility.
    2) Is H.263 supported by CVideoPlayerUtility or i need to develop my own decoder. If yes then how should i proceed.
    3) My server sends me video(in H.263 format) as RTP payloads. Since RTP is not supported by s60, i recieve these packets through udp socket and remove 12 bytes header and collect rest of the packet content in a descriptor. Can i directly play this descriptor after decoding and do the same for subsequent packets(means streaming) or i have to collect all the packets in a file and then play .it

THANKS IN ADVANCE
    Regards
    Ruchi
    ruchi.gupta@bhartitelesoft.com