Discussion Board

Smile Carbide: Getting started without getting (too much) frustrated

Well,
    since I am finally up and running with Carbide C++ Express and S60 SDK 2nd edition FP3, aftwer wasting hours and hours due to problems/bugs I would like to give the few hints that should help beginners to start with the "right foot". It must be a catholic thing: do for the others what you hoped the others did for you. I wished indeed to have a similar check list before. So, here it is what I discovered until now:

1) Do NOT include SPACES in the path of your workspace: simply Carbide won't be able to compile the AIF files, you will get strange errors and you will feel miserable.

2) Put the workspace in the SAME disk of Carbide and/or SDK: as above but this time the $(EPOCROOT) variable is not recognized anymore.

3) To add a project, let's say from the S60ex SDK's directory simply import (menù File/import) the bld.inf or (project).mmp file usually in the (project)/group directory. Carbide will do the rest for you.

4) To make the SIS file you need to add the (project).pkg file, usually found in the (project)/sis directory. Just drag and drop such directory from Explorer into the package root in Carbide. Don't ask me why this is not done automatically.

4a) To make the SIS file you must build the project using the ARMI or THUMB configuration. You can easily select them from the panel in the upper right corner.

5) To install the SIS file in your phone it is higly desiderable that you have Nokia PC suite installed. Just double click in the *.sis icon and PC Suite will do the job for you (well, you need to finish the installation using your phone).

6) Sometime the changes to the *.loc files do not seem to be applied (especially true with the "Hello World Plus" example). This is due to an error (bug?) when importing the project. The include path directories point to the ones where the example resides and not to the ones in the workspace. Fix it going to menù Project/properties, select "C/C++Build" and then "system option" (which is the default when you open it). Change the "user inlude paths" to the one of the workspace. You may use the variable ${ProjDirPath} usually defined by Carbide itself. Ex: ${ProjDirPath}\data

If you followed these steps correctly you should be able to start building, running in your phone and modifying all the examples. At least it works for me.

Now I have few questions:

a) How can I have the *.pkg file included when importing the project?
    b) Is that possible to make automaticaly the build/mmp files from an existing project? And the *.pkg file?
    c) To start a project from scratch do I always need to load a template?
    d) Where are the proj. templates located and how can I add (mytemplate)to them?
    e) Do I always need to add by hand the needed libraries or the system can automatically add the link dependencies just looking at the *.h files included?

Thanx for any answer. Obviously suggestions and/or corrections are very welcome.

Ciao,
    Michele
    Last edited by michelasso; 2006-08-17 at 01:07.

Super Contributor

Re: Carbide: Getting started without getting (too much) frustrated

a) How can I have the *.pkg file included when importing the project?
    In this version you cannot, it must be manually imported or created.

b) Is that possible to make automaticaly the build/mmp files from an existing project? And the *.pkg file?
    In the current version no, the next version will include features to do some of this.

c) To start a project from scratch do I always need to load a template?
    Either that or import. The Import/New project wizards set up a lot of stuff in the background that you cannot do in any other way.

d) Where are the proj. templates located and how can I add (mytemplate)to them?
    The templates are located in plugins under the Carbide instalallation directory. At this time there is no supported way to add new ones but if you edit the existing templates that should enable you to tweak them to meet you needs.

e) Do I always need to add by hand the needed libraries or the system can automatically add the link dependencies just looking at the *.h files included?
    You always must manually add them.

Regular Contributor

Some additional hints

See http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?p=251524

I have posted it in the doku feedback forum.

Regards,
    Karsten

Regular Contributor

Hi guys,

I've just started writing applications for Symbian using Carbide.c++
    and I am actually quite impressed but I still have some basic questions:

1) how can I make a routine (build/change/rebuild) for a project ?
    --currently I can create a project e.g. HelloWorld and run it on the emulator, but when I change the source files no changes a showing on the emulator,
    even after restart .... and rebuild (the project) ?!

2) Do I have to run the emulator everytime I want to see the changes
    I've made in my application ?

I would be most grateful for any help,
    Cheers,
    Lucca

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Under the Project menu there is a Build Automatically option, if you tick this option, everytime you save it will compile automatically.

And yes, you cannot compile the project while running the emulator.

Regards,

rishiak

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by lucca99
    --currently I can create a project e.g. HelloWorld and run it on the emulator, but when I change the source files no changes a showing on the emulator,
    even after restart .... and rebuild (the project) ?!
    When ever you make a change in the source make sure you save it and re-build the same.you can also build from the command prompt and yes you need to run the emulator everytime to see the changes.

Priju

Regular Contributor

One additional hint. I was very confused when trying the hello world example from the Carbide.c++ templates. The builder does not recognise if the .loc file in the inc directory is changed. I changed the menu texts or the "Hello World" itself but the emulator still showed the old text.
    The solution is (see the link in my post above)
    Delete the .rsc file in ...\epoc32\release\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\<project> and then rebuild.
    Successful testing!
    Karsten
    Last edited by KarstenBln; 2006-11-23 at 11:17.

Quote Originally Posted by rishiak

And yes, you cannot compile the project while running the emulator.
    but i can
    just close your application, compile it in carbide and open the app again in the emulator and you can see the changes, it works for me (well, most of the time...)

Regular Contributor

Hi guys,

many thanks to all of you!
    There is unfortunately something really weird with my simulator.

@Karstin thanks again, but it seems that I don't have a *.rsc file in ...\epoc32\release\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\
    nor in \epoc32\release\GCCE\...

I only have winscsy.rsc & lch.rsc in ...\epoc32\release\WINSCW\UDEB\Z

It is also strange that I cannot delete any files that I 've installed on the emulator
    i.e. Installed->Options->{Open,Change skin,Move, Move to folder,New folder,Download App,Memory details,Help} NO remove or delete ???

Could someone tell me what is gooing on, when I press:
    Carbide.c++ ->
    #Project->Build Project &&
    #Run->Run as ->Run Symbian OS Application ?
    --->
    Is there a way to avoid the graphical stuff (i.e. emulator)
    e.g. If I am working on a network protokol I don't really need the whole
    bunch of grahic ?

Sorry guys .,for the newbie questions..,
    and thanks in advance
    Cheers, ~Lucca

Regular Contributor

>> 1) how can I make a routine (build/change/rebuild) for a project ?
    >Under the Project menu there is a Build Automatically option, if you tick this >option, everytime you save it will compile automatically.

@rishiak thanks for your reply!
    This is something I have seen.., but it doesn't help to see the changes..

Cheers,
    Lucca

Regular Contributor

Wink Re: Carbide: Getting started without getting (too much) frustrated

Hello Lucca,

Quote Originally Posted by lucca99
    @Karstin thanks again, but it seems that I don't have a *.rsc file in ...\epoc32\release\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\SYSTEM\APPS\
    nor in \epoc32\release\GCCE\...
    I have noticed you did the "run" and not the "debug". In this case change "UDEB" (means debugger version) to "UREL" (means release version) in the path.

In your source files there should be a resource file named something like xyz.rss. When the build is done it is compiled to a file xyz.rsc. The xyz.loc file is included. The make mechanism should detect changes in the file and recompile it. Unfortunately it does not work. It seems make does not look at the xyz.loc file. By deleting the compiled resource file xyz.rsc you can force a new compilation.

My expectation was that this is done when a rebuild is done instead of a normal build but at least after you have cleaned up the project. Well, it did not work for me. But maybe I forgot to exit the simulator.
    At least you have to exit your application in the emulator, see Sbail's comment.

It is also strange that I cannot delete any files that I 've installed on the emulator
    Yes, in fact. That is the reason why some folks make a copy of the whole installation directory of the SDK right after they have installed it to easily replace a used SDK by a fresh one that does not have any applications installed.

Karsten