Discussion Board

Nokia 6280 Self sign certificate problem.

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to self sign a midlet using the following three lines (posted somewhere on the web):
    1) keytool -genkey -alias testCA -keyalg RSA -keysize 512 -validity 360 -keypass password -keystore example.sks -storepass password

2) keytool -selfcert -alias testCA -keypass password -keystore example.sks -storepass password

3) keytool -export -alias testCA -file testCA.cer -keystore example.sks -storepass password

This works fine and the outcome is testCA.cer

I have successfully signed my midlet using this certificate.

Now I need to install the testCA.cer on my phone.
    I've tried to place it on the phone memory card but when opening it on the phone it says "file type not supported",

Any ideas?
    Kindest regards,
    --tzurs

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia 6280 Self sign certificate problem.

tzurs, the Series 40 certificate root is closed. One cannot add their own certificates there. (I think there has been a number of discussions around this topic on these boards and it has been noted also in the Java boards FAQ http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=85660)

Hartti

Hi hartti,

Thanks for the info, the FAQ does state what you said,
    I'll further ask another quick question,
    Since this is "my" phone and I wrote the midlet, not intending to distibute it,
    Is it possible to "open" my telephone to reduce the secuirity restrictions?
    The thing is that I had the same phone 6280 and the midlet used to work fine (with user prompts for FileConnction API)
    I had replaced my phone with another 6280 from a different operator and from then on, the FileConnection API throws a secuirity exception and I'm not even allowed to give the app the permission (in the phone) to access user files,

This is why I took the self sign path, which I understand cannot work,
    Any solution to this?
    --tzurs

Super Contributor

tzurs, the recommended security policy for midlets states that "always ask" should be available for all midlets for all API access. This is how your earlier 6280 worked. Now, unfortunately some operators are not following this policy and they have restricted the access in some cases not to allow any access to certain APIs for unsigned midlets. This is the situation with your new phone (may I ask which operator?).
    Unfortunately "opening your phone" is not possible (unless it is reflashed, but getting a service point to change the software variant is most likely not possible).

Hartti

I understand,
    Oddly enough, it is the same operator, just a new phone.
    I have a "hunch" that there is some unlock codes that allows you to change these settings,
    I doubt if the phone somehow gets these settings from the provider's network.
    The operator is one of the three Israeli based operators and is called ORANGE.
    The main problem is that when I call customer support they have no idea what I'm talking about.. :-)

I'll try go to their service shop and see if they can "flash" it for me as you say,
    do you by any chance, have any idea what the actual relevant term I should use when communicating this issue with their customer support?

Best regards,
    --tzurs

Super Contributor

I have heard Orange Israel mentioned before in this light...

I find it unlikely you will have success in Orange shop.

Hartti

Hi everybody
    Hi Hartti,

I have two 6280 one with vidafone and one is with three. The three one doesnt allow me to run applictions which has file access at all. And the vodaone has a setting called "always ask". Which means i can use nokia 6280 voda for file access. But still it requires for the midlet to be signed by a certificate whihc is present in the "user certificates" of nokia.

My ques again is, is it impossible for the self igned midlet to be run on 6280.
    If it is how do i send the cert via bluetooth. I just copy i one of the folders of phone or copy to a specific location? And how to intall these certs into 6280?

And if all this is not possible then is the only option is to midlet signed by a CA given certificate>? there is no oher way, i cud possibly ru this midlet on my phone?

Please have a search on this forum. You have to buy code signing certificates from VeriSign+thawte or go through the Java Verified process.