Discussion Board

Question IPC to use in case of large data transfer

Hi,

I want to pass large amount of data in order of 1mb between two processes running in the same machine. I want to implement an Interprocess mechanism without using client server and files.

Can anyone suggest which IPC mechanism will be best in this case? Will it be proper to use message que or system wide global variable? I would like to use a descriptor as a message structure, but the amout of data i need to transact is huge and needs to be transferred at one go! any idea? how do i implement the requirement? Is there any alternatives within IPC mechanism?

Thanks in advance.

Arunangshu

Re: IPC to use in case of large data transfer

One option is shared memory. See RChunk in the sdk docs for some pointers.

Hi,

Yes, but I also need to get notified whenever the data is added into shared memory region,it is not mandetory, as for now,to send data at one go. There is no notification service available in RChunk.

If i use message que in order to transfer data between processes repeatedly; as and when required.

In that case, is it possible to send large data (say of the order of 500Kb) using message que?

I will be grateful if you clarify !!

Thanks,
    Arunangshu

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by arunangshu
    Yes, but I also need to get notified whenever the data is added into shared memory region,it is not mandetory, as for now,to send data at one go. There is no notification service available in RChunk.
    You might try to send the notification via a parallel channel (like client-server communication, RSemaphore, etc.)

Super Contributor

I would suggest as a previous poster did that you use a shared chunk and protect against concurrent access by using RSemaphore or RMutex. These can be accessed by a name or by duplicating the handle

You cannot share that amount of data between processes by copying which is what you would have to do if you were doing IPC.

Without knowing exactly what kind of data you are trying to shift, it difficult to know what to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Todd
    Without knowing exactly what kind of data you are trying to shift, it difficult to know what to suggest.
    Hi Paul!

Thanks for the reply :-) I will be passing text data. The data sturcture i would like to use while passing data is TBuf8.

As of the concern regarding the capacity of transferring large amount of data among the processes, if i pass the data in pieces, will there be any problem in case i use IPC?

If i use RChunk along with RSemaphore/RMutex class will i be able to share that large data chunk among two processes?

Actually, there is a main process which will be executing other processes(exes) one after the other. now those exes, while executing, will write text data(say, error code or the results) into that shared memory area. Those datas whenever written, need to be read by the main process.

So at a time only one process will be writing data.

Now, what data sharing mechanism should i use in this case?

I hope i have clearly stated the problem...

arunangshu,

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by arunangshu
    As of the concern regarding the capacity of transferring large amount of data among the processes, if i pass the data in pieces, will there be any problem in case i use IPC?
    Theoretically there should be no problems. Practically I do not know the performance limits of IPC.
    If i use RChunk along with RSemaphore/RMutex class will i be able to share that large data chunk among two processes?
    Nobody knows :-P, but it is possible to share that chunk between processes ;-)
    Actually, there is a main process which will be executing other processes(exes) one after the other. now those exes, while executing, will write text data(say, error code or the results) into that shared memory area. Those datas whenever written, need to be read by the main process.
    You should estimate the typical ammount of produced data, and the frequency of its production. And what does the recipient process do (write it into a file? send it via... SMS/UDP/TCP/RFCOMM/IRCOMM? Compress and Fourier-transform it?)?

Indeed if you try to generate 0.5 megabytes of data 40 times a second, nothing will help.

Super Contributor

If your data is 500k then you would be required to both read and write 500K to transfer data between processes so I expect that to be out of the question

As I said in my previous post use RSemaphore to coordinate requests amongst processes and use the RChunk to share data between processes.

Personally there is a wealth of data avaliable on string handling that I suggest you research as you will always get better performance from a better algorithm.

Smile Re: IPC to use in case of large data transfer

thanks, let me do some thinking on the issue...