Discussion Board

Nokia PC Suite still recognize XP SP2 Bluetoooth drivers?

Hi all,
    I know this may be an old issue (still I could not find anything really related to this), but that Win XP SP2 Bluetooth Stack is just driving me crazy. I explain the situation:

- I bought a Trust BT-1300 Tp bluetooth USB adapter.

- The first thing that I obviously did has been to plug it in the usb port. Win XP SP2 stack then installed...

- Nokia pC Suite 6.7.xxx was already installed.

- I installed the furnished Widcomm 4.0.1 BT sw which UNINSTALLED the MS Radio Bluetooth drivers. I also renamed in .bak the bth.inf and bth.pnf files in C:\WINDOWS\inf

- The BT conn. with Nokia PC suite was working fine. At least it seemed so. The PCSync was [sometime] screwed up, so was the SMS sync in Explorer.

- I upgraded PC Suite dew times up to the latest release (6.81.13.0). The first day everything was working fine like never before, the day after sometime PC Suite could recognize my 6680, sometime it couldn't sometime it could but it was losing the connection. Still, Widcomm sw was (and is) almost always recognizing my phone (i.e. I can send files while PC Suite is in a "sleeping" state).

Looking at PC Suite info I've got this:

Nokia PC Suite:
    Build 6.81.13.0
    Lingua: Italiano

Connectivity Cable Drivers:
    Build 6.81.1.2

Microsoft Outlook:
    Build 10.0
    Creazione 6626

Stack Bluetooth:
    Stack Bluetooth Microsoft
    Build 5.1.2600.2180

Stack Bluetooth:
    Stack Bluetooth Widcomm
    Build 4.0.1.700

My guess is that, even if Widcomm supposely uninstalled the MS BT Stack, PC Suite for some idiotic reason still find it and so I get conflicts. When setting a connection I always get the MS BT Stack together with the Widcomm one indeed (it shouldn't be there at all).

So, my question is: Is Nokia in the future release going to drop the MS BT Stack if there aren't the drivers and or do you know any workaround to by-pass it? I repeat that Windows works just fine with the Widcomm stack, I don't understand why PC Suite shouldn't do the same.

Oh, last thing: if I remove the Widcomm stack and I use the native, unfamous, nasty, XP SP2 BT native drivers PC Suite works just fine (but I miss the serial port and other stuff, which I don't like). Thanx for any idea.

Ciao,
    Michele

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia PC Suite still recognize XP SP2 Bluetoooth drivers?

If I understand correctly you have loaded several versions of PC Suite.
    This means that you need to run the "PC Suite Cleaner" and selects the options to clean up your computer before you reload pc suite.

Download from
    http://europe.nokia.com/A4144912

The problem lies in the Widcomm versions have special links and there are lots of versions around.

MS BT comm ports can be generated by pairing with your phone then asking the BT control panel accessed via the system tray icon and "add" the COM ports. In Java you can load the java.comm v2 library to link up with the comm ports if you need to.
    Jim

Actually that shouldn't be the problem. I did already run the "PC Suite Cleaner" in various releases but that did not fix the problem.

Now I installed the Widcomm 5.1.0.1700 drivers (the latest I believe), I reinstalled PC Suite 6.81.13 (well, actually I did a "restore") and finally it seems to work. Still the MS BT Stack is shown in the PC Suite system info, but when I boot the laptop the PC Suite icon automagically shows the green led. Usually the day after it could not connect to the BT stack anymore. Funny enough the program to store the images does not autostart anymore (but it does if I connect the phone with the cable).

Well, let's see. Still I strongly suggest to the developers to remove any connection to the Windows BT Stack if it has been unainstalled. If it is not there, what's the point to refer to it??

Ciao,
    Michele

I think I found one of the (many) reasons for this problem. Sometime my system crashes due to a device driver (unreported) error. After rebooting, PC Suite looses the connection to the Bluetooth stack. Running the uninstall program with the "restore" option PC Suite connects immediately after starting and as far as I know, keeps the regular registry configuration even after other reboots (it didn't before installing the latest Widcomm drivers).

Just in case someone is getting mad with the same problem...