Discussion Board

NetworkServices and CTelephony bug

On the emulator if I use
    iTelephony = CTelephony::NewL();
    the file C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\epocwind.out is filled with message
    Code:
        48.355	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - A Message (function number=0x00000047) from Thread MyObs.EXE[a0003238]0001::Main, sent to Server !EtelServer, was checked by Thread c32exe.exe[101f7989]0001::CTelServer and was found to be missing the capabilities: NetworkServices .  Additional diagnostic message: Checked by CPolicyServer::RunL
    The file quickly becomes several gigabytes and fill my space on c:
    The SDK is 3rd edition MR

I think I can use CTelephony to get the imei on the device without NetworkServices!

Should I add NetworkServices capability just in case?

Re: NetworkServices and CTelephony bug

Quote Originally Posted by microsoft2
    On the emulator if I use
    the file C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\epocwind.out is filled with message
    Code:
        48.355	*PlatSec* ERROR - Capability check failed - A Message (function number=0x00000047) from Thread MyObs.EXE[a0003238]0001::Main, sent to Server !EtelServer, was checked by Thread c32exe.exe[101f7989]0001::CTelServer and was found to be missing the capabilities: NetworkServices .  Additional diagnostic message: Checked by CPolicyServer::RunL
    The file quickly becomes several gigabytes and fill my space on c:
    The SDK is 3rd edition MR
    I think that I have also encountered the same bug (more details described in this thread) - however it seems that for me it doesn't fill up the debug log, but instead the error is just ignored, and the CTelephony object is constructed without problems. I wonder if this is because I have EPOCWIND.OUT logging turned off and/or because I have capability enforcement disabled in the emulator (as a result, my error is "Capability check would have failed", and therefore has WARNING severity only).

In my case, I am able to successfully retrieve the IMEI on the device as well, using CTelephony, so for now I am not going to set the NetworkServices capability on my process.

Looks like another one for 3rd Edition Known Issues...

Great, I will only set #ifdef __WINS__ to save one capability. Hope Nokia Ron will fix this soon . It is interesting because now the developers can also optimize the code for capabilities )
    Btw I am great fan on Talks and I was inpired to use the FEP the way it is not suppossed to, but now with these capabilities, I am not sure wether Nokia will sign such an application :/ Any thought on this?
    Last edited by microsoft2; 2006-08-19 at 20:56.

FEP capabilities

Btw I am great fan on Talks and I was inpired to use the FEP the way it is not suppossed to, but now with these capabilities, I am not sure wether Nokia will sign such an application :/ Any thought on this?
    I think the process for getting such sensititve applications still evolves - we will see how it works out for applications like our TALKS that cannot be implemented in any other way.

My expectation is that if you can demonstrate that your application does something genuinely useful which cannot be achieved with less capabilities, and that its intended functionality is not causing any harmful side-effects, there should still be ways to get it signed. You may just have some more explaining to do.

On the other hand. I would also prefer it if the capabilities of the system's applications could be refactored in such a way that, for example, a FEP can be signed without the DRM capability, and still work in all user-visible applications. But from what I have seen so far, user-installable FEPs must have been relatively low on the priority list for Symbian 9...
    Last edited by mgroeber9110; 2006-08-20 at 18:55.

Re: FEP capabilities

Well, if you have the source of symbian 9.1 can't you trace InstallFepL() to see if you are able to install your fep only on the applications you are interested in (all visible, although Talks will have to install in the phone application also to tell the user if there is a pin code to enter) What you are doing is great, many people will be happy when the new version is ready!

Our application Smart Settings installs start menu in the desktop application and some other useful stuffs...
    as I said it was inspired by TALKS, thanks
    Last edited by microsoft2; 2006-08-21 at 08:43.

Exclamation Re: NetworkServices and CTelephony bug

On the emulator if I use
    Code:
    I think I can use CTelephony to get the imei on the device without NetworkServices!

Should I add NetworkServices capability just in case?
    Update: I believe that NetworkServices *is* actually required even for getting the IMEI - after upgrading my test N91 to the latest firmware 2.00.052, the process invoking CTelephony seems to hang in the active scheduler after constructing CTelephony if it doesn't have NetworkServices capability!

Is that real!?
    Thank you! I was just going to send my sis for singing

Does someone know whether the IMEI is saved somewhere in the repository?