Discussion Board

Motorola shame..? Writing/reading on a Flashdisc

Hello

I have a Motorola SLVR with a Micro SD Card.
    JSR-75 is included with restricitons...

Well... i'm frustrated because someone else answered in a forum that there are no restrictions if I try to write on a SD Flash card. Well I bought an SD Card and...

java.lang.SecurityException: javax.microedition.io.Connector.file.write was denied

is the answer... I get. *sigh*

Can someone perhaps help me out and tell me how to get an NDA with Motorola and what it actually is? Some kind of contract I guess? is it difficult to get? Because I'm a student, doing this project for the other students and not going to sell it or something like that.
    How long is it going to take til I have it? Do I need money for this?

thanks a lot

Super Contributor

Re: Motorola shame..? Writing/reading on a Flashdisc

I have not worked with a Motorola SLVR, even though IMHO the security exception could be due to that if an access permission question have been asked and you have selected Not to access. Please try by allowing the permission message. May be you should try signing your application.

Please note that this is Nokia Developer discussion boards. Here users may be mostly talking about Nokia devices. Motorola-Mobile developer site is here
    http://developer.motorola.com/?path=1.2

May be you should post your question in the Technical services section of Motorola.

Regards
    Gopal

thanks for your answer

But i've not found any forum on the motorola website, and because I know that here are a lot of smart people I thought i'll give it a try

if somebody knows a good motorla forum, please tell me
    Last edited by Jossnaz; 2006-08-20 at 19:06.

Super Contributor

If you register to the Motorola Web site, there is a "find and answer service"

Also if your phone is Cingular phone, the security domain settings are different (more restrictive) than what is recommended in the MIDP spec.

I remember that someone asked a similar question on KVM discussion list some time ago (archives here http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/kvm-interest.html)

Hartti

Super Contributor

hi Jossnaz,

from Motorola JSR-75 tech doc:
    Security
    It is the responsibility of the J2ME platform that the FileConnection APIs are deployed on to provide a security model supporting the security of the File Connection APIs. Specifically:
    File access through the File Connection API may be restricted by an implementation of files within a public context and not deemed private or sensitive. This restriction is intended to protect users' files and data from both malicious and unintentional access. Implementations MUST NOT allow a File Connection to access MIDP RMS databases. Implementations SHOULD NOT allow access to files and directories that are private to another user’s private applications, files and directories system configuration files, and device and OS specific files and directories. In these situations, a java.lang.SecurityException is thrown from the Connector.open() method if the file, file system, or directory is not allowed to be accessed.
    The implementation of the security model is left up to the including profile or platform.
    consult with that doc:
    https://developer.motorola.com/?path=1.2.7.42.762
    it contains example midlet code,

hth
    regards,
    PEter