Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Re: S60 Signing and Certification

How can i know which capabilities are req. by Client Program.

I System Security FAQs it is found that
    "The capabilities that an application requires can be confirmed in the S60 emulator. When the option "Enable Debug Security Messages" and "Enable EPOCWIND.OUT Logging" are selected in the emulator's Preferences dialog (or PlatSecDiagnostics set to ON and LogToFile set to 1 in the emulator’s epoc.ini file), a log file is created in the Windows “temp” folder called epocwind.out that includes warning messages indicating the capabilities needed by the application."

But when i checked the epocwind.out file for messaging application and found no warning, is it prove the it do not require any capabilities.

Any pointer will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

Re: S60 Signing and Certification

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao
    But when i checked the epocwind.out file for messaging application and found no warning, is it prove the it do not require any capabilities.
    This is a good question, so I'm going to move it from the sticky to a new thread.

The answer? It may do, but it may not. It depends whether when, you ran the application on the emulator, it ran all the code which would execute on the phone itself.

The approach is OK but, there are differences between testing code on the emulator and on hardware. You'd be well advised to put the code on the phone and try it, and inspect the documentation for the APIs you're using, to see what capabilities they list as required.

You may also find this post from the Carbide team interesting:
    http://blogs.s60.com/creatingcarbide...duct_feat.html

Super Contributor

Re: How can I know which capabilities are required by a client Program?

Hi stichbury,
    Thanks for the reply.

It may do, but it may not. It depends whether when, you ran the application on the emulator, it ran all the code which would execute on the phone itself.
    can you please point when it will give the log as out put and how does it look like. Any documents any pointers will be helpful.

there are differences between testing code on the emulator and on hardware. You'd be well advised to put the code on the phone and try it, and inspect the documentation for the APIs you're using, to see what capabilities they list as required. in my case I am trying to compile the Messaging Example from the SDK for device but when I install on the device it is giving "Capabilities are not approved." even though I used a dev certificate to sign the .sis file.

Now in this case how will i find out what capabilities I missed, as I have give the capabilities that are set by Nokia / Symbian as it is I have not changed it all.

Thanks in advance.
    Sunil Kumar

Super Contributor

Some information about the debug output:
    http://www.symbian.com/Developer/tec...ug.output.html

As it says, if you search for platsec, you'll find out if there are any warnings/errors logged in the file.

Looking at the messaging example in the SDK, it requires the following capabilities:

NetworkServices ReadUserData WriteUserData WriteDeviceData ReadDeviceData

If you have not changed the example *at all*, and assuming that it has been released in the SDK with the correct capabilities and .pkg file, the problem you're seeing at install time is probably something to do with signing (e.g. devcert doesn't have sufficient capabilities, isn't the correct one for the phone).

I'm not familiar with the message "Capabilities are not approved" but this is a useful resource for interpreting installation problems (http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/view_entry.html?id=93)

In case it is a problem with the SDK example (and I assume you *are* working with 3rd Edition MR) you should do a search, on this forum and beyond, to find out if anyone else has had similar problems with it.

Super Contributor

Thanks stichbury for your prompt reply...
    The points you gave are very useful.

I found the following link http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...Capablity.html with Developer_Certificate_Request_Process_v1.1.pdf found in sumbiansigned.com site i think we can able to find the accurate application capabilities required. [If i am wrong please correct me].

Also i got my problem i think i used wrong Certificate file to request dev certificate.

The DevCertRequest application says there is a way get the devcertificate before getting the ACT. If you do not have one of these, further details are available from https://www.symbiansigned.com . However, you can still obtain a Symbian Developer Certificate for a single IMEI without an ACS Pub ID but i was not able to find the documents for that method
    any pointer to the document will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Sunil Kumar
    Last edited by skumar_rao; 2006-08-23 at 04:47.

Super Contributor

Yes, you can get a Symbian developer certificate for a single IMEI without the ACS authentication. You use the same wizard to apply for a Symbian Signed devcert, but just skip the part where it asks for the ACS publisher ID.

The Symbian Signed site seems to be unavailable at present (9pm PDT) so I can't run through it to describe it exactly (I think you just use the wizard and hit "Next" to move onto the next question). I can, anyway, confirm that it is possible.

HTH )

Super Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply.

But i am not able to go to next page in "Dev certificate Wizard", i think i have to provide some private key file and password, where can i get it. I donot think i can use the key file generated for self sign. Please can you help.

Thanks in advance.
    Sunil Kumar

Regular Contributor

I have a developer certificate signed using verisign, and still I can't use
    SendEventToWindowGroup

it returns -46 (permission denied)
    am I missing something ?

Super Contributor

I think the dev. ceritificate only ensures that you sis file is not missused etc. the API access are controled by CAPABILITIES that you given. So i think you have to check for your capabilities as required, If i am not wrong.

Regular Contributor

I have given my application all available capabilities, including swEvent, which is the capability required for the API I am using.

Super Contributor

but i donot understand is the API returning the it returns -46 (permission denied) or the installation. What i understand it is the API.

Regular Contributor

the API call returns -46
    the installation is fine.

Super Contributor

Did you given "WriteDeviceData" also.

Super Contributor

hi stichbury,

Can you please guide me to produe a certificate with out the use of ACT.

Thanks in advance.
    Sunil Kumar

Super Contributor

There's some information in the text of the devcert tool from Symbian Signed which may help you:

"Specify the name and location where your ACS Publisher ID and the associated private key file are stored. If you do not have an ACS Publisher ID, select the ‘No’ ACS Publisher ID check-box and enter a previously generated private key for a different .csr file. In both cases enter the password if key is protected. Otherwise, if a private key is not available, leave the ‘No’ ACS Publisher ID box checked and enter a name and a password of at least four characters long to create a new private key file."

So, if you don't have the ACS ID, check the "No" box. If you don't have a signing key already, just type in a name in the box that asks for a key (eg "mykey" and type a password. Click next and carry on through the wizard.