Discussion Board

Undefined reference to E32Main

Hi,

While porting an application to 3rd edition, i bumped into that weird issue.
    In function `$p': symaehabi\Callfirstprocessfn.cpp.text+0x48): undefined reference to `E32Main()'

My E32Main() function looks like that:
    GLDEF_C TInt E32Main()
    {
    return EikStart::RunApplication(NewApplication);
    }
    It is compiled in a static library (.lib) and my exe application is linked against that library.
    However, if i move my E32Main() function from the library to the exe code, it works all fine.
    To test, i put the E32Main() function in both my exe and my lib and then i have a:
    (.text+0xf4): multiple definition of `E32Main()'

What the hell is going on there?

Super Contributor

Re: Undefined reference to E32Main

hi,

Hope This will clear u...
    Code:
    Application Entry Point
    Instead of the S60 2nd Edition application entry point:

GLDEF_C TInt E32Dll( TDllReason )

{

return KErrNone;

}

In S60 3rd Edition, EXE applications need an E32Main() function as an entry point. The application is started using the RunApplication method from eikstart.h.

#ifdef __SERIES60_30__

#include <eikstart.h>

#endif

É

#ifdef __SERIES60_30__

GLDEF_C TInt E32Main()

{

return EikStart::RunApplication( NewApplication );

}

# else

GLDEF_C TInt E32Dll( TDllReason )

{

return KErrNone;

}

#endif
    Source taken from SDk documentation....
    Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Super Contributor

#include <eikstart.h>

Well yes. I saw that. And i think it's exactly what i am doing. If the entrypoint is in a static library, and my exe linked to that library, then it should find the entrypoint and link all fine. Am i wrong about that?
    It's like on 2nd edition, if E32Dll() is in the library, it works fine.

I have my E32Main() in the library, and i can't see any good reason why the linker doesn't find it when linking the exe with the library.
    My exe code is supposed to be platform independant, so i should not HAVE TO put the entrypoint in the exe code but only in the library code...

And #include <eikstart.h> is included, i would have a compiler error if i didn't have it included, it's a linker error i'm getting here.

Additionnaly, it looks like armv5 target did link it (it even did it for real, just tried the application on the device.. ).. Sounds like some of those odd library link order issues to me. However, i applied the patch which is supposed to fix it already. Any suggestion about it because i'd like to have it working with gcce as well?
    Last edited by damsku; 2006-08-23 at 14:08.

Quote Originally Posted by damsku View Post
    Well yes. I saw that. And i think it's exactly what i am doing. If the entrypoint is in a static library, and my exe linked to that library, then it should find the entrypoint and link all fine. Am i wrong about that?
    It's like on 2nd edition, if E32Dll() is in the library, it works fine.

I have my E32Main() in the library, and i can't see any good reason why the linker doesn't find it when linking the exe with the library.
    My exe code is supposed to be platform independant, so i should not HAVE TO put the entrypoint in the exe code but only in the library code...

And #include <eikstart.h> is included, i would have a compiler error if i didn't have it included, it's a linker error i'm getting here.

Additionnaly, it looks like armv5 target did link it (it even did it for real, just tried the application on the device.. ).. Sounds like some of those odd library link order issues to me. However, i applied the patch which is supposed to fix it already. Any suggestion about it because i'd like to have it working with gcce as well?
    Did you ever figure out how to make the linker recognize the staticlibrary definition of your E32Main?