Discussion Board

RAlarmServer is deprecated.. So, where is the new AlarmShared.lib?!

Hi,
    I am using S60 SDK 2nd ed. FP3 to write a small app that makes use of alarms. Since RAlarmServer is deprecated, I am using the new (?) RASCliSession and TASShdAlarm classes. The second one links against AlarmShared.lib, which, in SDK 2nd ed. FP3 IS NOT THERE. I Could find it in SDK 3rd ed., but it seems that it can't be linked by the 2nd ed. linker. It reports an error indeed:

(C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\epoc32\gcc\bin\ld.exe 1000) Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    (C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\epoc32\gcc\bin\ld.exe 1000) Dumping stack trace to ld.exe.core

Probably for the binary code incompatibility between 2nd and 3rd edition.

Since I saw around that other users reported the missing of this library, and someone fixed the problem (without telling exactly where they found the lib), would it be too much to ask Nokia to make that lib available to whoever needs it? We just need a link for simple download!! The ugly thing is that Nokia's people in the forum did not even seem to bother. I mean, it is an officially documented Class and we can't link against it? Irritating.

Ciao,
    Michele

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: RAlarmServer is deprecated.. So, where is the new AlarmShared.lib?!

most commonly if the library is nor available in the public-SDK, it was taken out for a reason, and you could get it only by utilizing your pro-member connections (i.e. try getting your BDM to get it for you), asking it here will ususally not work at all. Anyway, if you would read some posts posted here earlier about missing libraries, you might notice that not all public-SDKs a alike, for example, some Motorola/Sendo SDKs might include some extra libaries & headers that are compatible with Nokia SDKs.

Anyway, I read your other post, and would say that you could get the same functionality easier by implementing a client/server applicatiojn, where the client is UI that sets alarms (for example to shared DB) and the server is autostarting exe that handles alarm scheduling and displaying & playing.

One problem with RASCliSession is that all though it "supports" specifying your own audio file, in the end the alarm server either plays the calendar alarm or clock alarm file specified in profiles.

yucca

Well, Yucca,
    thanx for the answer. But I am just a Symbian newbie, with some C++ skills (I am from the old C school... I am old, you know ;-) ). I wanted to develop such application just to learn about Symbian/C++ programming. To ask me to start with a new client/server app would be too much for me. The funny thing is that after all of this I told myself: ok! RAlarmServer is deprecated, but it is still there. I will make an application that will run in both 2nd and 3rd ed. making use respectively of RAlarmServer and RASCliSession classes. Guess what? ealwl.lib library for RAlarmServer is not in SDK 2nd ed. FP3 either. Anyhow, in another thread someone gave me a link to some RASCliSession docs. I'll look a t that.

Ciao,
    Michele

Looking in the web I found another interesting thing: in the SDK for Symbian 7.0 TASShdAlarm links against AlarmClient.lib, not AlarmShared.lib, like in 3rd edition. At least so it says the documentation. Obviously, linking with AlarmClient.lib in SDK 2nd ed. FP3 TASShdAlarm() is missing.

I bet that if I download SDK 2nd ed. FP1 (the one for Symbian 7.0) I can make use of TASShdAlarm . If that's the case, it is really obscure to me why with the FP3 one can't use alarms AT ALL since both RAlarmServer and TASShdAlarm are missing.

Hi!
    I have the same problem:
    i would like to make some tries with the alarms,
    (I made some tries with RAlarmServer in 6.1 version and now I was hoping to try the new and maybe more friendly RASCliSession) but the lib- as well as the header-files are not present in the sdk.
    What seems a little bit strange to me, is that these API are marked as "PUBLIC", and not "PARTNER ONLY", by Symbian itself.
    (Refer to: http://developer.symbian.com/main/do...cat.html#Alarm)

So, why Symbian (-> Nokia) tells you can program the alarm-related client and then exclude the possibility to practically do it?

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

This appears to be an error in the SDK and that team is working on it. It seems to me this is in most all of them but if you can say exactly what versions are the S60 SDKs where the library is missing?
    They believe we can try to dig the library from the S60 Platform, but I need to know precisely which release(s) to be used.

Ron

Nokia Developer Moderator

If I remember right alarm server libraries are missing from all 2nd edition SDKs except 2.0. I'm quite sure they can also be found from Motorola SDK's.

yucca

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca
    If I remember right alarm server libraries are missing from all 2nd edition SDKs except 2.0.
    yucca
    Yes that appears to be so. We am trying now to determine if this was a conscious decision or if the SDK team simply had an error in the program that generates them and it just missed it.

Ron

Hi,
    I am using 2nd edition FP2 CW (8.0, the one for 6630, with Carbide C++)
    It seems that part of the alarm libraries are missing: alarmclient.lib (RASCliSession) is there,
    alarmshared.lib (needed for TASShdAlarm) is not there.
    I tried to use these, to follow the example in AlarmServerPortingGuide.pdf

Bruno

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron
    Yes that appears to be so. We am trying now to determine if this was a conscious decision or if the SDK team simply had an error in the program that generates them and it just missed it.

Ron
    Did you ever work out whether this was deliberate or accidental?

REgards
    H

I apologize, I thought I had posted a message, maybe it is in a different thread.

This API is meant to be public, but the libraries are missing from SDK.

"AlarmShared.lib" files for THUMB and WINS UDEB are in the attached zip file. The file must be unzipped into the directory containing epoc32-folder. I hope that you can find a suitable way to make this available for developers in need.

Ron
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you very much.
    Regards
    H

Thank you very much for the libraries and for your help.
    Bye,
    Bruno

Hi
    I need to set the alarm in my application programatically,do tell me any suggestions regarding which API and functions i have to use.

I used below code but in this its written that RAarmSever has been deprecated than i want to know how can i set the alarm.

RAlarmServer almServer;
    almServer.Connect();
    CleanupClosePushL(almServer);

TTime Todays;
    Todays.HomeTime();

TTime time(iTime);//iTime is the Set Alarm Time

time.DateTime().SetYear(Todays.DateTime().Year()) ;
    time.DateTime().SetMonth(Todays.DateTime().Month());
    time.DateTime().SetDay(Todays.DateTime().Day());

_LIT(KAlarmFile,"nokia tune.mid");
    _LIT(KText,"alarm note message!");

TAlarmSoundName iSound(KAlarmFile);
    TAlarmMessage iAlarmText(KText);

TAlarmClockRepeat iRepeat = EAlarmClockDaily;

almServer.AlarmEnable(ETrue, 0);

CleanupStack::PopAndDestroy();
    If i use this code iam getting an error saying that iTime is undefined.
    Tell me what are the modifications i need to make for my code.

THANKS&REGADS
    Preethi