Discussion Board

what is the maximum amount of stack size ?

i am trying to set stack size with EPOCSTACKSIZE 0x5000.
    But it seems there is nothing happens (i use RThread.GetRamSizes to know available stack size).

What must i do to increase stack size ?
    What is the maximum amount of stack size which can i set in EPOCSTACKSIZE?

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: what is the maximum amount of stack size ?

Hello dear,

I have read somewhere that default size of stack is 8 KB.

Following link may help u.
    http://descriptors.blogspot.com/

Regards.
    Kiran.

Super Contributor

Re: what is the maximum amount of stack size ?

hi,
    Code:
    Small default stack size in S60 3rd Edition

KIS000387
    Overview

The default stack size in S60 3rd Edition is only 8 kB, which may not be enough for more complex applications.
    Reported against

S60 3rd Edition
    Date identified

July 7, 2006
    Symptoms

-
    Detailed description

With Symbian OS v9, the default stack size was reduced from 20 kB to 8 kB to optimize memory consumption because platform security caused an increase in the number of running processes in the system. 

In practice, the 8 kB stack has proven to be quite small for any larger S60 application. Even if the stack size were sufficient when the application is run on current devices, there is an increased risk of crashes due to stack overflow in future S60 3rd Edition devices as new features can cause a slight increase in stack consumption of the platform libraries. Thus, using a too small size for the stack endangers also binary compatibility.

Increasing the stack size to 20 kB is recommended for all applications written with the S60 3rd Edition SDK. Applications need to be recompiled in order to modify the stack size.
    How to reproduce

-
    Solution

Stack sizes other than the default 8 kB can be configured with the epocstacksize statement in the .mmp project definition file.

epocstacksize stacksize

The size of the stack, in bytes, can be specified in decimal or hexadecimal format. Using this statement will have no effect under the WINSCW/WINS platforms.

For example, adding the following line to the .mmp file will increase the stack size to 20 kB:

epocstacksize 0x5000

Alternatively, stack size can be defined for a new thread when creating the thread.
    Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Thanks for information

Regular Contributor

Presently i am working 3rd edition 9.1v.how to know the application stack size was incresed more than allocated stack size.
    example in 3rd maximum stack size was 8KB, suppose my application stack size incressed 8kB at the time how i know.

Super Contributor

Hi,

1) 8 Kb is not the maximum stack size but the default size - see mateen's post below, so if you suspect that you have problems of a little stack size then you can try to increase it.

2) If it is clear that stack size is exceeded at the compilation time then you just get a linker error, but as I understand this is not your case. You can either try to increase the stack size or not to use stack so exstensively - allocate memory on heap; avoid recursive calls...

Hope this helps you
    Regards,
    ivey

Regular Contributor

ya i know we can able to increase stack size.But problem is not that how i know my application was occupy more than default stack size.

Hi sriramadasu,

Often you will only find that you have used more stack than you should at run time. On the device it seems you get a KERN-EXEC 3 from your other post (It might have been more helpful if this was implemented as a specific Stack Overflow panic).

One very easy way to use a lot of stack is with recursive function calls. Another is to allocate very large TBuf's, or a lot of them.

If you have a problem and making the stack bigger gets rid of it then it is quite likely you had a stack overflow error. Symbian is quite good for this. Some platforms I've worked on didn't have any error when you overflow the stack and you only find out some time later when a bit of memory used by some other code has been changed mysteriously!

Sorcery