Discussion Board

signing a freeware with extended capabilities

I know that this post maybe already exists and I have checked all the documentation available but I don't understand the process of signing
    a freeware with extended capabilities (S60 3rd) which is very confusing to me ....

1) my application, FExplorer, need more than the basic capabilities, i.e., I need AllFiles, SwEvent, ... (I have put that in my .mmp file), if
    I haven't that, I can't test all of my application, BUT if I want to signed it and request these extended capabilities, my application need
    to be tested (which is logical); how can I request my application to be signed with extended capabilities if I can't test it before ?

2) It seems that to request extended capabilities, I need to have an "ACS Pub ID", which is not free !! or I have missed something for freewares ...

3) is there any 'SIMPLE' document which guide STEP BY STEP the process from the begining to the end for signing an application which need
    extended capabilities. ?

thanks in advance ...
    Domi
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FExplorer is my baby !

you can get the FREE version from www.gosymbian.com
    you can get the PRO version from http://store.ovi.com/content/339454

Super Contributor

Re: signing a freeware with extended capabilities

Hi Dominique... we've been waiting for your amazing new FExplorer for S60 3rd Edition...

I will try to answer your questions based on my experience signing my freeware application, Screenshot for Symbian OS.

Note that there are some extended capabilities that need phone manufacturers approval. AllFiles is one of them. The other ones are CommDD, DiskAdmin, DRM, MultimediaDD, NetworkControl and Tcb.

Unfortunately, I don't know how the process to request those capabilities. However, I can imagine they are not easily granted by phone manufacturers. As far as I know, other developers who develop file explorer for S60 3rd Edition hit the same problem with AllFiles capability. You can also read Simon Judge's post, http://mobilephonedevelopment.com/archives/191. He has contacted Symbian and Nokia, but couldn't get AllFiles capability.

For other extended capabilities, like SwEvent, you can request developer's certificate from SymbianSigned.com. The certificate will be bound to your IMEI number so that you can only install applications on your phone only. You don't need ACS Publisher ID, but there are some limitations, e.g. you can only request 1 certificate installer for 1 IMEI number only. I know it is a bit difficult to do "mass testing". We have to ask all our beta testers his/her IMEI number. I hit this problem too...

About step by step process to get developer's certificate, you can visit http://www.symbiansigned.com/.

Antony

Thanks for this Antony,

I had read the Simon Judge's post previously ... and for the info from symbiansigned.com, it's not clear at all !!!

I need AllFiles (and maybe a lot of more) to test my app but for that, my app need to be signed, how can therefore I can test if I haven't the capabilities !!! we turn in round .... don't know why having introduce a so complicated & heavy process ... this closes the door to many developpers especially if they produce freeware (it's my opinion)

Maybe some other help ....
    Domi.
    Last edited by Jeepy; 2006-08-30 at 23:09.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FExplorer is my baby !

you can get the FREE version from www.gosymbian.com
    you can get the PRO version from http://store.ovi.com/content/339454

Nokia Developer Champion

Not all types of applications require access to all files in the system.

Even such apps that used to have more access in previous versions of the OS can still be written without, but they're of course less capable now.

You can write/test your app with more capabilities with a DevCert on a limited set of devices (and even release it to other DevCert holders for them to make installation packages on their own).

But to release such an app to the "world at large" you need to have it Symbian Signed (and with manufacturer approved capabilities it has to be supported by the manufacturer).

I have, of course, no real data to back it up, but I suspect that the vast majority of phone owners will do just fine with apps that do not require manufacturer approved capabilites. I also suspect that there is a vast majority of types of apps that don't need them, but actually a very small set that could use them (which would not be of general interest except to a very small subset of phone users).

For example, would your mom or dad need, care or have the faintest idea of what's in C:\sys, C:\Private or Z:\ on their S60 phone (if they have one in the first place)?

Anyway, the Platform Security and Symbian Signing process/restrictions still allows for a great deal of different kinds of both free and commercial software development (freeware can even be Symbian Signed, and Antony's screenshot app is - I think - the first such app released through the process).

As other people have mentioned, you can make releases of the application that can only be installed on devices with specific IMEI numbers. This can work for your development and small-scale beta testing. I would happily give you the IMEI numbers of devices that I have access to so I could test the application. The reason for this is rather selfish - I really want a file browser that works on Series 60, 3rd ed.

For public release, you will have to go through the Symbian Signed process. And AFAIK this is associated with a cost even for freeware applications. It is not very expensive, so perhaps you can find founding for this through your users. I mean, there is great demand for a good file browser on Symbian 9.

Nokia Developer Champion

There are already at least two file browsers that work on S60 3rd Ed; SExplorer (http://simonjudge.com/symbianseries603rdfreeware.html) by Simon Judge and Y-Browser (http://www.pushl.com/y_browser/) by Jukka Silvennoinen a.k.a. symbianyucca.

Neither have AllFiles capability and neither can see into or write to directories protected by Platform Security.