Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

java applications can`t connect to the internet in 6230i

Hi, i have some java applications (like opera mini) installed in my phone (nokia 6230i) that use internet connection, bùt the applications does not recognize the internet settings, i always get the message "error in http operation". The operator (Orange) in my country (Dominican Republic) has the setting for 6230 but not for 6230i models. those applications works fine in my old nokia 3200. I have the following configuration (it was very difficult to get those steps in the internet, nokia manuals does not explain how to configurate this phone). The wap navigation works fine.

Default config. setting:

personal configuration (that is activated for all applications)

web:

account name : orangeworld

homepage : http://orangeworld

user name blank)

password blank)

use preferred access point: no ( if i select ''yes" i get the message "connection not available" but according with Orange the settings that i have for the access point are right).

access point settings

proxy : enabled

proxy address : 172.16.126.70

proxy port :8080

data bearer :GPRS

Bearer settings

GPRS access point : orangeworld

Authentication type: normal

user name: orangeworld (according with orange this is optional)

password blank)

and the settings that i have for preferred access point are:

Account name: orangeworld

Acces point settings

data bearer : GPRS

Bearer Settings

GPRS access point : orangeworld

Authentication type: normal

user name : orangeworld

passwordblank)

Well, this is my configuration, as i wrote above, i can get wap connection to work if i do not use preferred access point, but not the java applications (with or without the preferred access point).

I have about 6 weeks surfing the web to get info for the right configuration, i hope someone from this forum could help me. Thank you.

Super Contributor

Re: java applications can`t connect to the internet in 6230i

Hi melchizedeck,

I I understood it correctly, you can access the internet from pre-installed applications, right?

Try this
    In Settings->Configuration
    - check that you have a default configuration settings defined and activate default in all apps
    - then create a new access point (Personal config Settings->Add->Access point). Name that access point any way you want (or keep the default). Go Access point settings->Bearer Settings->"Packet data access point" and change it to "orangeworld". Save the new access point
    - go back to configuration settings and make your newly created access point the Preferred Access point

Does it work?

(Note that I might have some names of the menus written down incorrectly as I do not have 6230i in my hands right now)

Hartti

Smile Re: java applications can`t connect to the internet in 6230i

No i do not have pre installed applications that connect to the internet. the applications were installed by me. The steps that you give me are the ones that i described in my post, but thank you for your help anyway. I will keep seeing the post until someone could give me a solution.

Thank you again artti.

It seems that java applications look for the preferred access point settings, and look for the proxy address. The configuration does not give you the option for to enter a proxy addres. If i do not use preferred access point, i can enter the proxy address in access point settings ( the menu give you 2 options 1- access point settings and 2- preferred access point settings), but java applications seems to look for the preferred access point only and, as i described, the preferred access point does not give you the option to enter a proxy address that java applications need to find to get connected.

If someone have a 6230i with java applications that connect to the internet, please let me know the settings you have,so i could check it and see if i am making something wrong. Thank you.
    Last edited by melchizedeck; 2006-08-31 at 17:14.

Well, i would like to know if i am at the right forum, it seems that is just for J2ME programmers and not for newbies like me. I don`t think that a programmer could not answer something as simple like the problem that described below.

The nokia 6230i is my fifth nokia phone ( i was having the same problem with a Nokia 3220 that now rest in my closet). Now, the question is, Did Nokia decide not to allow java application to connect to the internet on S40v2 phones?

Super Contributor

You mentioned that your operator does not have settings for 6230i. Have tried getting them from here?

http://europe.nokia.com/A4144889

Hartti

Yes, but my country (dominican republic) is not listed just dominica island (that is not my country) is listed. Thank you.

melchizedeck, you have misunderstood hartti and not followed his post.

I try it again. Note the difference between Web and Access point:
    Nokia > Menu > Settings > Configuration > Personal > Options > Add new > Access point (and not Web) > Account name > Orange > Settings > Settings > GPRS access point > orangenet.com.do.
    Then select this access point as default:
    Nokia > Menu > Settings > Configuration > Preferred access point > Orange.

Now you MIDlets should work. You need a default access point account and not a Web account for MIDlets to work.

Unhappy Re: java applications can`t connect to the internet in 6230i

thank you traud, hartti, i tried the step that you gave me, but now i get the message "check home address". The web page of the operator(orange) http://www.orangeworld.com.do have instruction to enter the settings for some phone models manually,and i notice that access point is not the same in some models configurations. i tried with every one and still the same. i think that if i get preferred access point to work i could solve the problem. i know that is just a configuration problem. the diference between Web and preferred access point is that in Web menu i can enter a proxy address for the accespoint, but the preferred access point menu does not have the option for to enter a proxy address, just acount name, access point and user name and password, as i described below. But the question that i have is the following one, if in the web menu the acount name and access point are the same as in preferred access point, why web works and the preferred acces point does not?

Thank you again guys.
    Last edited by melchizedeck; 2006-09-08 at 21:57.

Nokia > Menu > Web and MIDlets Internet access are two totally different things (in GSM networks and Nokia worlds). Ports are blocked in one, proxys have have to be passed etc. Forget about Nokia > Menu > Web and its settings when it comes to MIDlet Internet access.

Check home address:
    Is your phone set to English in Nokia > Menu > Settings > Phone > Language or is this a translation of yours? After what does this message appears. Are you in a MIDlet like Nokia > Menu > Applications > Collection > Opera Mini or have you started the Nokia > Menu > Web?

Again, forget about the missing proxy. This is not needed when you use orangenet.com.do (no www, no http, exactly as written here). In Opera Mini, do you get a G in the upper left corner? Do you get a rectangle around the [G] after some moments? Which error messages do you get then from Opera Mini?
    Last edited by traud; 2006-09-14 at 08:45.

Hi traud, thank you for your replay. Well, i will try to answer your questions (please note that my english could not be very good ).

1- I set the phone language to english in the phone menu (just to see the menu in english for to practice my skills in this language)

2- The message appears when i try to star web (using preferred access point) but web works fine if i choose not to use the preferred access point.

3- If i start a MIDlet in the application menu, like opera mini, i can see the letter [G] inside a square ( the same that i see when i am using wap or web navigation) but after about one minute opera mini show the message " error in http connection", no matter if i use preferred access point or not, the application show me the letter [G] inside the square and tell the message after about one minute. It is the same with other applications, like webviewer, MSN lite messenger, mobile google map. etc.

Thank you again.

Hi traud, i answered your questions. Please let me know any sugestion that you could have when it could be possible for you. Thank you again.

I have no idea left. Either the access point I gave you, is no real Web access and just for something else, too, or we have a misunderstanding and you have a configuration setup problem.

Hi again. well, i am using the access point settings values that i have for wap. I mean, i can navigate fine in wap, so the access point is right, but the preferred access point have the same values but MIDlets don`t get connected. Also, every time i turn on the phone it dis play the message " check connection settings".

I was reading a thread in this forum :

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=78213

it seems that someone found a solution that i'd like to test, but don't know how. i think i have to use JDK software for it. May you or someone please check the link and tell me something?. Thank you.

NOTE: Also the problem with 6230i is posted by other user in this thread :

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ighlight=6230i
    Last edited by melchizedeck; 2006-09-27 at 14:52.

You should contact your local Nokia customer support. Probably you need a firmware update because your phones behaves incorrect. Additionally, you have to use the access point I gave you. You cannot, I repeat, you cannot, I repeat again, you cannot be sure a working Nokia browser (WAP) gives a working MIDlet (Web) connection.