Discussion Board

Question How To read SMS and dont change its status?

Hello all,

I have the big problem, I'm using Nokia12i modem module (But I think, that is no matter if it is cell phone or modem module).
    I am writing software for modem, and I need to read/write sms. So I doing it that way.

AT+CGMF=0 // set SMS mode to PDU.

AT+CGML="REC UNREAD" // reading new messages.

Lets say there was one message. So the problem is that when I do CGML, the message status changes from REC UNREAD to REC READ, and it does not matter the user has really read SMS or not.

Maybe someone could give me an advice how can I do such a thing:

1. I read sms from module
    2. If there is one, then I put it to the Grid.
    3. User selects the message from the grid and opens it.
    4. After that, message can be set as readed.
    5. And may be deleted from new sms grid, and set to read sms grid.

I am reading messages on timer, every ten seconds. And with the cmgl command I get new sms correctly, but only one time, after 10 seconds I read again, and all new functions are already read, does not matter has user read them or not.

I sincerely suppose that someone will understand my problem and as.ap. wait for your help.

Thank you for your answers

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: How To read SMS and dont change its status?

There is no way you can avoid status change of the message if your application reads it. Your own application has to keep track of the messages and about that whether the user has actually read the message or not. You might keep track of messages in certain locations that are not read by the user and read all those messages again with +cmgr command when needed. Your own application is the only one who knows whether the user has actually read the message or not and can show that to the user.
    Br,
    M Forum Nokia Tech Support

Re: How To read SMS and dont change its status?

Thank you for answer.