Discussion Board

How to dial out using VOIP

Hi guys,

Please help me!!!
    what I want to do is just wanting to code a program to dial a voip call directly. as we know, E61 support voip as well as GSM(CDMA). Also, we can dial out directly while we want to use GSM's service. what will we do for VOIP? In the document published by Nokia, there is not any information about this issue. The all mentioned in these documents are SIP or CSip as topic and new features.I beleive that there MUST be a way to get this goal. but I dont how to complete it. Hope you guy give me any suggestion!!!!!!

Thanks
    Best Regards
    Livy

Re: How to dial out using VOIP

Hi,

I want to do the same thing.

But there is no direct API to do this.
    So, I try to simulate some Key Events to dial a call : I launch phone app and I send KeyEvents. Actually, simulation of dial key is OK but simulation 0-9 keys do nothing (security reasons ???)...

If you can do something with this idea or if you find an other solution, I'm very interested.

Regards,
    Ben.
    I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.", Bjarne Stroustrup.

Hi buddy,

I am glad to hear your reply!!
    your grogress seems much better than mines. as your comment, can you tell me how to launch the Build-in VOIP application? this will be the hlep to me. Secondly, did you know how to modify the default SIP-Setting using application? Now, I have found the API to read this default SIP-Setting, which is CSipProfile.But this class only read the configuration. any comments will be appreciated.

Livylau

Quote Originally Posted by livylau
    can you tell me how to launch the Build-in VOIP application.
    First, I simply bring to foreground the classic phone application (not specially VOIP)
    Code:
    TInt lPhoneWGId = 0x100058B3; // 0x100058B3 => Window group Id of Phone application
    TApaTaskList* lApaTaskList = new TApaTaskList(iEikonEnv->WsSession());
    TApaTask lApaTask = lApaTaskList->FindApp(TUid::Uid(lPhoneWGId)); 
    lApaTask.BringToForeground();
    delete lApaTaskList; lApaTaskList = NULL;
    And, I try to simulate key events (I want to send "sip:0xxxxxxxxx" and dial key). But 0-9 and a-z keys are blocked...
    Code:
    // For each key :
    TWsEvent lWsEventKey;
    lWsEventKey.SetType(EEventKey);
    lWsEventKey.SetHandle(iEikonEnv->WsSession().WsHandle());
    lWsEventKey.Key()->iCode = aCode; // Key code
    lWsEventKey.Key()->iScanCode = 0;
    lWsEventKey.Key()->iModifiers = 0;
    lWsEventKey.Key()->iRepeats = 0;
    lWsEventKey.SetTimeNow();
    iEikonEnv->WsSession().SendEventToWindowGroup(iEikonEnv->WsSession().GetFocusWindowGroup(),lWsEventKey);
    iEikonEnv->WsSession().Flush();
    Secondly, did you know how to modify the default SIP-Setting using application?.
    Sorry, I don't know.

Ben.
    I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.", Bjarne Stroustrup.

Thank you for your kindly reply.
    I will try as your comments. I think it will help me largely.

Regular Contributor

Using SIP API

I am not sure if what you want is possible but you might need to develop a SIP application for your VoIP needs. Then find a real SIP server to which you set in your SIP profile under SIP Settings. Then use the SIP API found somewhere in the nokia website. If you are developing using 2nd Ed, you would have to download the SIP API Plugin separately but for 3rd ed the SIP API is part of the SDK.

You would then have to send a SIP invite to the phone that you want to call then implement a socket communication between the two phone calls or use SIP messages to transfer your voice data. The voice data you would need to play in your default phone speakers.

Super Contributor

You need to create the SIP profile manually by Tools->Settings->Connection->SIP settings, I have not been able to configure the SIP profile yet programatically.

Then you need to create the Internet Telephony Settings using Tools->Settings->Connection->Internet Tel settings

Also make sure that u have created an access point as well.

Once u have done all this..then u should be able to make/recieve VoIp Calls.

If you want your own application to do all this..then there would be 2 ways..

either u find a way to use the default/native VoIp application installed on the device
    or
    Create your own SIP based VoIp client..which i feel would be quite a complicated task..and would also require the Symbian Devkit and Forum Nokia pro membership.

Cheers
    mayank

Nokia Developer Expert

Exclamation Re: How to dial out using VOIP

In general, developers that are planning to create a full duplex VoIP are recommended to join Forum Nokia PRO.

However, an easy way to to experience and use VoIP is with N80 IE that has the Nokia VoIP v2 client (support NAT FW traversal, useful at home). Simply type in manually the SIP settings from your VoIP service provider or download the Gizmo (Sipphone) settings from the Catalogue/Download client, you can start to use the VoIP service. E61, E60 and E70 devices have the older version of the Nokia VoIP client that does not support NAT/FW traversal.

More information about the Nokia VoIP SIP client:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso..._IP/index.html

Regular Contributor

Hi Ben,

Instead of bringing classic application to foreground, can we move it to background and catch all the user events in my applicaiton (0-9, Dial etc., even in 'idle' mode also) .

BR
    bytes

Quote Originally Posted by joguet View Post
    First, I simply bring to foreground the classic phone application (not specially VOIP)
    Code:
    TInt lPhoneWGId = 0x100058B3; // 0x100058B3 => Window group Id of Phone application
    TApaTaskList* lApaTaskList = new TApaTaskList(iEikonEnv->WsSession());
    TApaTask lApaTask = lApaTaskList->FindApp(TUid::Uid(lPhoneWGId)); 
    lApaTask.BringToForeground();
    delete lApaTaskList; lApaTaskList = NULL;
    And, I try to simulate key events (I want to send "sip:0xxxxxxxxx" and dial key). But 0-9 and a-z keys are blocked...
    Code:
    // For each key :
    TWsEvent lWsEventKey;
    lWsEventKey.SetType(EEventKey);
    lWsEventKey.SetHandle(iEikonEnv->WsSession().WsHandle());
    lWsEventKey.Key()->iCode = aCode; // Key code
    lWsEventKey.Key()->iScanCode = 0;
    lWsEventKey.Key()->iModifiers = 0;
    lWsEventKey.Key()->iRepeats = 0;
    lWsEventKey.SetTimeNow();
    iEikonEnv->WsSession().SendEventToWindowGroup(iEikonEnv->WsSession().GetFocusWindowGroup(),lWsEventKey);
    iEikonEnv->WsSession().Flush();
    Sorry, I don't know.

Ben.