Discussion Board

ADK Example 2 modified for SMS bearer: No Response from Terminal A

I've modified example 2 for use with SMS bearer service by changing the string literal in Example2.java from:
    "csd;term123;1;ORB/OA/IDL:ET:1.0;"
    to
    "sms;term123;2;ORB/OA/IDL:ET:1.0;"
    and recompiling.

However, when I run the modified Example 2 application, I get a COMM_FAILURE exception. The gateway log contains the message:
    "W 2002/09/30 14:13:48 [Message] -----------------------------------------------
    Message forwarding failed to term123[+1ZZZYYYXXXX]:2 java.io.IOException: No response from remote peer"

(where ZZZYYYXXXX is the sms number for Terminal A.)

I know the SMS message was delivered to Terminal A because the LED starts blinking slowly. I've verified (using an RS-232 sniffer on Terminal B) no sms messages are received by Terminal B. I've tried the following configuration variations on Terminal A:

Connection 2: SMS: gateway number: +1AAABBBCCCC
    (where AAABBBCCCC is the SMS number for Terminal B)
    and

Connection 2: SMS: gateway number: AAABBBCCCC

and

General: Default Connection = Connection 1 (CSD)

and

General: Default Connection = Connection 2 (SMS)

I've also verified the accuracy of the SMS # for Terminal B by sending SMS messages to it successfully from another device.

What have I overlooked?

Regular Contributor

RE: ADK Example 2 modified for SMS bearer: No Response from Terminal A

Hi!

Check that you have set right phone number in your remote terminal (gateway?s modem terminal number) settings and you have set right number (remote terminal number) in gateway's userDB.properties file because there is big change that SMS and CSD number are different on same SIM card (for e.g. SMS = +358987654321 and CSD = 0987654321). You can get the right numbers of SMS and CSD from your SIM card if you have available two Mobile Phones.
    SMS:
    Send a SMS message from phone1 to phone2 and look from phone2 how it shows SMS number of phone1 and type it exactly same way in your terminal settings and gateway settings.
    CSD:
    Make a phone call from phone1 to phone2 and look from phone2 how it shows SMS number of phone1 and type it exactly same way in your terminal settings and gateway settings.

If you have selected 'CSD number authentication' try to unselect it and then run Example2 again.

Br,

M2M Developer Support Team

Regular Contributor

RE: ADK Example 2 modified for SMS bearer: No Response from Terminal A

Hi!

If you are using Sun?s SDK version 1.4 read troubleshooting from the ?Installation Guide for Nokia M2M Application Development Kit?. You can find it here:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/m2mforum/main/1,35452,1_70_30,00.html -> Installation Guide for Nokia M2M Application Development Kit (Inst_Guide_For_Nokia_M2M_ADK_v4_0_6.pdf)

What ORB version are you using (for e.g. Jacorb 1.3.30)?

Br,

M2M Developer Support Team