Discussion Board

Thread: VOIP

VOIP

Hi,

I would like to know more about VOIP on S60. Can anybody provide me with a starting point - mayb the API that need to be used or the some document regarding that. The 3rd edition SDK didn't provide me with much of material.

Regards

Sreepriya

Regular Contributor

Re: VOIP

Hi,

You need to look at some audio APIs first, since it is the main thing in a VoIP solution. You can look at APIs like CMMFDevSound, an interface to raw audio functions on the device hardware.Then you should think of providing full duplex audio(simultaneous record and playback) application, which will solve the device related capabilities.

Search for some audio related Symbian applications(like audio streaming etc) which are already existing in FORUM NOKIA.

regards,
    VVS.Naresh
    http://students.iiit.net/~satyanaresh
    --

Super Contributor

Smile Re: VOIP

Hi Naresh,

To the best of my knowledge..full-duplex is something which Symbian does not provide on most of the phones..it is the device manufacturer which has provided its own implementation to make that possible.

Can u please post some code snippets which shows how u managed to achieve full duplex on Symbian phones..?

Cheers

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I think there exists a Full Duplex solution for S60 2nd edition devices(FP2,FP3) which is
    available for ForumNokia Pro Users.The solution uses CMMFDevSound APIs to achieve the
    Full Duplex solution on devices like 6630,N70,N90 etc.

I am interested/trying in/out a full duplex solution for S60-3rd edition devices....
    But, I dont know whether it is possible or not....

--
    VVS.Naresh
    --

Nokia Developer Moderator

What I have understood on having input and output stream at the same time (on N80 and N91) is that opening the CMdaAudioInputStream and CMdaAudioOutputStream can not overlap with any other sound-related activity (including opening the other stream). One possible sequence (actually I have not tried the others):

- CMdaAudioInputStream::OpenL
    - wait for MaiscOpenComplete
    - CMdaAudioOutputStream::OpenL
    - wait for MaoscOpenComplete
    - start using the CMdaAudioOutputStream object
    - start using the CMdaAudioInputStream object

Actually I have synchronized the asynchronous events via including CActiveScheduler::Start after each OpenL call, and including CActiveScheduler::Stop in the ...OpenComplete methods.
    The given scenario uses TMdaAudioDataSettings::EChannelsMono and TMdaAudioDataSettings::ESampleRate8000Hz with no compression set, but I think it should work with other settings too.

Nokia Developer Expert

Exclamation Re: VOIP

S60 3rd edition phones support full duplex application development. S80 (Communicator) did not support full duplex VoIP.

I suggest noting the following known issue documented in Forum Nokia Technical library:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technical...S60_3rd_Ed.htm

This means that you need to get access to this Audio Proxy Server 2.0 as it solves 1) Audio Delay (access to speech codecs) and 2) Audio routing. Forum Nokia PRO members should contact their BDM and non-PRO should contact nokia.testing@nokia.com. In order to use the APS v2.0 you need Multimedia DD in your Symbian developer certificate, which is manufacturer grantable capability. And in order to apply for manufacturer grantable capabilities like MM DD, you need to get first the Verisign ACS publisher ID:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technical...esting_FAQ.htm

Check [link removed] its a good one.
    Last edited by petrib; 2009-06-10 at 12:18.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jenigirly View Post
    Check [link removed] its a good one.
    I am not sure if the post has any relevance to the context being discussed earlier, besides its a 3 year old thread.

If you want to announce/share something with fellow developers create a new thread in the right forum here
    Last edited by petrib; 2009-06-10 at 12:18.
    Cheers,
    Mayank