Discussion Board

ImportError when adding modules

I'm experiencing two problems that I think are related.

I have an E61, which is a 3rd ed. phone.

I've installed both pythonfors60_1_3_8_3rded_selfsigned.sis and pythonscriptshell_1_3_8_3rded_selfsigned.sis. I'm trying to add some additional modules but they just aren't being recognized/installed.

I started by sending the modules via BT. Upon opening the message, it failed, indicating it didn't recognize the file type. I then copied them to the external card (again using BT) and opened the file (named "testimport.py") from the File Manager app. The screen went blank for a few seconds and then returned to the File Manager. It didn't ask if I wanted to install it as a script or module, like the docs say.

Then I created E:\python\lib and copied the files there. I opened python and verified that the directory had been appended to sys.path. (It showed up as 'u"E:\\python\\lib"'.) Then I listed the contents of that dir using os.listdir:

>>> os.listdir(sys.path[-1])
    ['rijndael.py', 'testimport.py', 'testimport.pyc']

But "import testimport" or "import rijndael" both throw an ImportError:

>>> import testimport
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<console>", line 1, in ?
    ImportError: No module named testimport

I know people have been successful at installing 3rd party modules. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

-Ben

Regular Contributor

Re: ImportError when adding modules

Quote Originally Posted by insyte
    I have an E61, which is a 3rd ed. phone.

I started by sending the modules via BT. Upon opening the message, it failed, indicating it didn't recognize the file type. I then copied them to the external card (again using BT) and opened the file (named "testimport.py") from the File Manager app. The screen went blank for a few seconds and then returned to the File Manager. It didn't ask if I wanted to install it as a script or module, like the docs say.
    The current 3rdEd distribution does not yet support the recognizer-appmgr -functionality available in earlier PyS60 versions.

Then I created E:\python\lib and copied the files there. I opened python and verified that the directory had been appended to sys.path. (It showed up as 'u"E:\\python\\lib"'.) Then I listed the contents of that dir using os.listdir:
    Have a look at http://puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net/sou...dEd_README.txt

The ".py" library files (that you want to make available globally for the Python applications) should go to "c:\resource", use e.g. ".pkg" (search your S60 SDK with keyword "pkg") files to transfer the files there - this has the added benefit that you can easily uninstall those packages via SWInstall and your handset won't get "polluted".

The ".py" library files (that you want to make available globally for the Python applications) should go to "c:\resource", use e.g. ".pkg" (search your S60 SDK with keyword "pkg") files to transfer the files there
    OK, although Python clearly thinks it should be checking E:\python\lib for modules:

Code:
    >>> import sys, os
    >>> sys.path
    ['c:\\private\\f0201515', 'c:\\resource', u'e:\\python\\lib']
    >>> os.listdir(sys.path[-1])
    ['rijndael.py', 'testimport.py', 'testimport.pyc']
    >>> import testimport
    ImportError: No module named testimport
    >>> import rijndael
    ImportError: No module named rijndael
    >>>
    Has core Python functionality been changed so much that sys.path is no longer honored?

-Ben

OK, although Python clearly thinks it should be checking E:\python\lib for modules:
    D'oh... Just learned on #pys60 that the e:\python\lib functionality is temporarily broken.

-Ben