Discussion Board

3510 "Unable to open file"

Hi,

I am currently trying to create polyphonic ringtones for the Nokia 3510.

I say trying because I have run into an unexplainable problem. For apparently no reason some the the ringtones I have created fail to play on the 3510. I can download them, but, when I try to play them the phone reports "Unable to Open File".

This seems to be a sporadic problem with no pattern of cause. Here's what I do know so far:-

- File size is irrelevant ( the problem occurs in files as small as 2k and as large as 10k)

- Instruments have a little effect (all ringtones use only instruments from the Introduction to midi doc. but sometimes changing an instrument will make a file work)
    Also this problem occurs in different files with completely different sets of instruments - so it's not a problem with one specific instrument.

- Complexity has a little to do with it. Sometimes removing one unnecessary track will fix the problem

Can anyone help me solve this problem. I have experienced the same issue with both the 3510 and 7210 - so is this a Nokia compatibility issue? All other handsets- Samsungs, Motorola etc work fine.

Any help is appreciated

Regards

.Dave

RE: 3510 "Unable to open file"

Hello,

i've encountered this problem too for my 7210.

i have a midi, around 4k, if i send it to my 7210, the 7210
    have no problem to play, to save, and also to set as the
    ringing tone.

however, if i download this same midi via WAP, though the
    7210 prompts me that a "Ringing tone received", it will then
    tell me that its "Unable to open file" after i push the play
    back button...

i saved it to the Gallery "Tones", try to do the playback again
    and the result is just the same...

---
    matt

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi,

This sounds like the WAP GW you're using messes something up. Maybe it doesn't recognize the MIDI MIME type, audio/midi, and changes it to something else and the phone can't play it anymore. So check your GW and find out if there's something strange.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

Hi,

It sounds like your MIDI file MIP is 5 or more. 7210 can play MIDI files with MIP 4 max. The reason why does it play in 7650 and T300 is that these devices has MIP 24 in MIDI files.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

Hi,

What I meant was that the highest MIP value for the channel shouldn't be more than 4. If the highest priority channel has a MIP value more than 5, it will not play in 7210.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

Dave: I hope you might be able to help me.
    I have a 6610 and I cannot assign a ringing tone from the 'gallery' to a 'caller group. The only alternative I have is to assign a tone from the 'gallery' as the 'ringing tone' and then select 'default' for the caller group, which is a nonsense!
    The problem (and I think this might be a bug in the software) is when one download a tone it goes directly to the 'gallery' and have to stay there. And tones in the 'gallery' can only be selected as a 'default' tone....
    my e-mail is sfonseca@mail.com

We have been creating polyphonic ringtones for commercial purpose for a while now and have encountered the same random errors. We have found out the following :
    We have tested all our files by uploading them with a datacable to the 7210 and they all worked, including the largest ones of 33K !
    But when downloaded on WAP, some files generated "can't open file" and "file too large" errors. They seemed to occur with files over 12K. Sometimes we encounter "format unknown" errors with flawless sp-midi files.
    It couldn't have been the MIPs, because they were programmed strictly according to the MMA's Scalable Polyphony protocol and they did play perfectly when uploaded with cable.

This leads us to believe that the WAP delivery is the issue here. (MMS delivery seems to work fine too).

If there is a WAP gateway download limitn then it should have the same error when downloaded with 7650, which it hasn't.
    Are files downloaded on WAP always stored on SIM ? Perhaps it's a limitation of the memory slots of the SIM cards for the different models, we haven't figured that out yet. I hope the Nokia support team has some info on that.

Has this problem been resolved already? I'm having exactly the same problems! The only way I'm able to make some midis work was by decreasing the number of tracks. But I have some midis that have more tracks but work without problems. Dave? Are you still there?

thare is anything a can do to solve this?

Nokia shoud do something, looks like that when you download a mid file part of it get lost ...

... someone com mail me one mid file that works when you download it...
    a had a 5310i phone....

mokumoku@zipmail.com.br