Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Panic Codes from Emulator

I still don’t know why I can’t get any panic codes when there is a panic in the S60 2nd Edition emulator. I have tried all the things that others have suggested, but I still get nothing.

My computer is running Windows XP Pro with 512MB RAM. To test the problem in the most controlled manner possible, I modified the S60 example, HelloWorldBasic, by adding this to the ConstructL for the document class:

_LIT(KPanicName, "FakePan");
    User::Panic(KPanicName,5);

This way the HelloWorldBasic program will generate a panic very early in the launch. The emulator I run is the one that gets installed with the 2nd Edition SDK:

\Epoc32\release\wins\udeb\epoc.exe 32832 bytes 8/27/2003

The emulator is the blue vertical rectangle that looks like a phone. I scroll down to HelloWorld and run it. The epoc.exe program immediately produces exception that generates the usual Windows XP message box, asking if I want to send a crash report to Microsoft. Afterward the EPOCWIND.OUT is 22K in size and starts and ends like this:

Can't load ELOCL.00
    Can't load EKDATA.00
    Starter:Server startingStarterServer::NewL()StarterServer::ConstructL()FeatMgr: InitializeLibL() SharedData: Assign to 0x10005a2b by StarterServerSharedData: total allocated memory: 504FeatMgr: TLS increase, clients now(1) SharedData: Get request with key "1057" by StarterServerStarter:Connecting File Server...Starter:Connected to File ServerStarter:Connect SD Server...Starter:Connected to SD serverStarter:Assigning to KSysTargetUIDSharedData: Assign to 0x10005943 (temp) by StarterServerSharedData: total allocated memory: 644Starter:ConnectMandatoryResources

<…lots more deleted for brevity…>

: 7496SharedData: Get request with key "ColPal" by MenuFeatMgr: InitializeLibL() FeatMgr: TLS increase, clients now(2) SharedData: Assign to 0x100058ec by MenuSharedData: total allocated memory: 7496SharedData: Get request with key "InputLang" by MenuAknLayoutUtils: parent rect Width smaller than required 0 >= 20AknLayoutUtils: parent rect Height smaller than required 0 >= 144AknLayoutUtils: parent rect Height smaller than required 141 >= 144AknLayoutUtils: parent rect Height smaller than required 141 >= 144Starter:EnvChange 4FeatMgr: InitializeLibL() SharedData: Assign to 0x10005a2b by HELLOWORLDBASICSharedData: total allocated memory: 7668FeatMgr: TLS increase, clients now(1) SharedData: Assign to 0x100058ec by EikAppUiServerSharedData: total allocated memory: 7748SharedData: Get request with key "ColPal" by EikAppUiServer

Can anyone please try to duplicate this test and see if you can get a panic code?

Robert Scott
    Ypsilanti, Michigan

Super Contributor

Re: Panic Codes from Emulator

Have you tried to enable "extended panic code" in your emulator? You can select Tools | Preferences. Make sure "Extended panic code file" is enabled there.

Alternatively, you can create the file manually. Read the tutorial here, http://newlc.com/Display-the-extende...c-code-in.html.

Antony

Regular Contributor

I don't know what Tools | Preferences you are talking about. The emulator I run says "Series 60 2.0 wins udeb" in the caption bar, and there is no menu with Tools on it. There is a Tools folder in the emulator display, but if I open that folder with the 5-way navigation key, it shows only Notepad, Calculator, Converter, Clock, and Memory.

I have read the ariticle you quoted and created the ErrRd file in the specified directory, and still there is no difference in the way the emulator panics.

Robert Scott
    Ypsilanti, Michigan

Super Contributor

Sorry... I think 2nd FP2 doesn't have menu bar yet. The menu bar is available since 2nd FP3. However, it shouldn't be a problem because the menu basically creates the file that is described in the article.

About your problem, it's an interesting case. Normally, it works after we create the file (ErrRd).

Antony

Regular Contributor

Well, here's another thing. The article you cited says that without the ErrRd file I would only get a "Program Closed" message. But I don't even get that. All that happens is that epoc.exe crashes. The only message comes from Windows XP saying that the program (epoc.exe) has a fault.

Robert Scott
    Ypsilanti, Michigan

You probably have just-in-time debugging enabled in the emulator. It means a panic will invoke system debugging facilities (i.e. crash epoc.exe). You can disable this feature by editing epoc32\data\epoc.ini and adding this line:
    Code:
    JUSTINTIME 0
    Lauri

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by laa-laa
    You probably have just-in-time debugging enabled in the emulator. It means a panic will invoke system debugging facilities (i.e. crash epoc.exe). You can disable this feature by editing epoc32\data\epoc.ini and adding this line:
    Code:
    JUSTINTIME 0
    Lauri
    Yes, yes, yes! That was it! Thanks. Now I get panic codes displayed and the emulator does not crash.

Now I wonder where such an important fact is hidden in the official documentation. I would like to see what else I may have missed.

Robert Scott
    Ypsilanti, Michigan

It is documented in the SDK documentation for example in epoc.ini documentation and User::SetJustInTime()/User::JustInTime().

I agree it is not very clearly there. You have to know what you're looking for in order to find it.

Lauri