Discussion Board

Post converting games

Hi Guyz

I have a nokia 9300 but my problem is this i want to download a game which is in a jad files .And my phone can get the java games so ,I need to know if is there anyway I can convert from jad file to java.

Super Contributor

Re: converting games

To give a complex answer to a simple question...

A .jad file is primarily a text file that says where to find a .jar file.

The .jar file, on the other hand, usually contains Java programs (games or otherwise).

Note that a .jar file can contain Java programs for many different versions of Java, and not all of them are supported by your phone.

E.g., desktop PCs have a "flavour" of Java called J2SE (Java 2 Standard Edition), of which there are numerous versions, too.

For server systems there's J2EE (Java 2 Extended Edition). Also several versions, but fewer than J2SE.

For mobiles the most popular version of Java is J2ME (Java 2 Micro Edition). This is usually also referred to as a combination of different versions of MIDP (Mobile Information Device Profile) and CLDC (Connected Limited Device Configuration).

So, in short, Java programs most likely to work on your 9300 must be Java programs that are MIDP 2.0/CLDC 1.1 compatible (MIDP 1.0/CLDC 1.0, MIDP 2.0/CLDC 1.0 will probably also work).

Note that this does not take into account numerous little device/implementation differences, that often leads to requiring tens or even hundreds of separate versions of Java programs to support all possible phone models.

Whether the game you want to download is or isn't compatible with your 9300, is a different thing (and without more info we can't say).

The full list of 9300 supported Java technologies from http://forum.nokia.com/devices/9300 is here:
    - FileConnection and PIM API (JSR-75)
    - Nokia UI API
    - CLDC 1.1
    - Bluetooth API (JSR-82 No OBEX)
    - Foundation Profile (JSR-46)
    - MIDP 2.0
    - Mobile Media API (JSR-135)
    - Personal Profile (JSR-62)
    - CDC (JSR-36)
    - Wireless Messaging API (JSR-120)

And, finally, the answer: The Java game either works or doesn't, and there is no way for you to do any kind of conversions (and if it doesn't, the original developer can redo/fix the app to work on your phone).