Discussion Board

N93 for Symbian Developer

Hi All,

I am about to buy Nokia N93 or any other Nokia/Symbian set, I really don't have idea which one to go for and in this regard I would like to get input from you fellow members.

My prime intention to buy a set is for improving my programming skills on symbian c++ platform, at looks N93 looks cool to me but before I get N93 I would like to know if I am making the right decision ? or is there any better set than N93 that I should go for, specially as a symbian developer.

Thanks in advance.

Re: N93 for Symbian Developer

BTW I already have Nokia 6600

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hard to say really. Current OS 9 phones are basically the same on the programming point of view. Only additional stuff what N93 has when compared to most of the other phones is the possibility to change between horizontal/vertical view on runtime, and also possibility to utilize external displays (TV etc.).

yucca

Thanks for your feedback Yucca, what are you suggesting then..

1) Shall I stick to Nokia 6600
    2) Or shall I upgrade to some set other than N93

TV or horizontal/vertical view is NOT really something too appealing for me, I am thinking more in terms of symbian c++ programming, a set which is better supported in terms of features, connectivity, software tools and is stable.....size or price is not an issue for me even.

I would also like to know which phone set do you as a Nokia champion use/suggest/like most of the time for c++ developments.

Please help me decide, I am here on this forum just because my prime intention is to master symbian c++ developments and I don't want to buy a set and bump into limitations once I am on the run.

Thanks again.

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: N93 for Symbian Developer

Hello dear,

Yr Nokia 6600 falls into S60 2nd edition devices.
    You can start developing with the same if u don't want to buy a newer device.

By the way, if u really want to cope up with new market segment then start developing with S60 3rd edition devices. Like E61, N73, N93 etc.....

There are major changes is 2nd edition and 3rd edition development.
    Not much in API but in Signing issues, Capabilities issues, etc...
    Platform Security is one of the aspects of 3rd edition development.

You shall find device specifications from following link:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/matrix_all_1.html

Regards.
    Kiran.

Super Contributor

Also, a device like E70 or N93 will provide most flexibility and future-proof testing, as both have Wi-Fi/WLAN and support of the portrait/landscape modes (if you develop your app to work also with Wi-Fi and portrait/landscape, you get best device coverage - which, of course, do not replace required testing on all sorts of different devices, if you want your app to work reliably on them).

The additional "bonus" for an E70 would be the QWERTY keypad (you get also that with the E61 but loose camera and portrait mode).

The N93 can be useful also due to its faster processor (OMAP 2420) and the ability to connect it to a TV monitor (for development, testing and demonstrations). The N93 has also more of an "industry standard" display size (QVGA) than the E70.

In any case, the 6600 does not represent well the current state and devices sold today (all new S60 models, except for the N72, released this year have been based on S60 3rd Ediiton).

Thanks a lot Kiran & Petrib, I had a feeling that Nokia 6600 is wearing out, thus the reason to upgrade, thanks for confirming this fact...I surely have no problem disposing 6600 and going for N93.

Have any of your heard any downside of N93 over E70 or any other 3rd edition phone ? like hanging or anything else.....Just want to make sure N93 is the best one around before I grab one.

What is the difference between E series and N series sets in general (other than look n feel) and specially with regards to symbian developments ?

One last thing, I am most probably going for N93 as I beleive that series 60 is most used series in comparision to series 80 (communicator series), is that true ? of course, I would like to stick with the one which is mostly used for wider coverage and profits...please advice.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Farhan Ghafoor
    Have any of your heard any downside of N93 over E70 or any other 3rd edition phone ? like hanging or anything else.....
    Actually I do not know these two, but all of my 3250, N80 and N91 hide the answer of operator commands (for example T-Mobile Hungary would report my roaming limit if I send *102#, but these devices say "Requesting" , beep, and say "Done" :-D
    Just want to make sure N93 is the best one around before I grab one.
    There is no such thing as "best one". It highly depends on the purpose. If you are going to read and write lots of e-mails, the display size and the full QWERTY keyboard matters (3 Communicators - or just the 9500/9300i if WLAN matters -, E61, E70). If you prefer high-res camera with optical zoom, TV-out, get the N93.
    However if you like smooth graphics on high resolution display, none of the above can catch up with an N80, E60 or any other S60 device with the 352x416 display.
    And if you would like to listen lots of music, do not forget the N91 with its built-in 4-gigabyte hard drive.
    What is the difference between E series and N series sets in general (other than look n feel) and specially with regards to symbian developments ?
    Development is the same for all (of course the 2nd edition N-Series devices - N70, N90 - are exceptions), E is for Enterprise (no camera for example), N is for something else.
    One last thing, I am most probably going for N93 as I beleive that series 60 is most used series in comparision to series 80 (communicator series), is that true ?
    As I know S80 will extinct, and S60 is going to take its place (E-Series - especially E61 and E70 - can be considered as a sign of this).

Wow Wizard Hu, the info was so very helpful.....you know one just can't get these true details on the sites selling these phones.

BTW I won't be using the phone in any thing else other than practicing for symbian c++ programming, so no email typing, no hard-fast camera usage, nothing too graphic oriented/games or big playlist of music for me....I would just like my set to have all these capabilites, good even if it is of basic level rather than very much advance.