Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Regular Contributor

Unable to access memory card through jsr75...

Hi Guys,

I am not able to read any file residing in the memory card on Nokia 6630. I am getting "Security Exception: Access Denied". I added the necessary permissions from the toolkit. Also I checked the permission settings of the application from the application manager. I wrote the following statement to access the file:-

FileConnection fc = (FileConnection)Connector.open("file:///Z:/Nokia/Sounds/Digital/Chase.mid",Connector.READ);

I know that there are some restricted folders which we cannot access like system folders. But how can the whole memory card cannot be accessed? I tried reading files residing in different folders of the memory card but didn't succeed. Basically I am not able to access memory card...i.e. z:

I saw many threads related to this but didn't get satisfactory answers. If you people have any idea about this then please let me know.

Regards,
    Pankaj Hotwani.
    Regards,
    Pankaj Hotwani.

Regular Contributor

Re: Unable to access memory card through jsr75...

i dont know but when i access the memory card i use e: not z: so make sure that is correct. secondly if this doesnt work try anyother folder. like create another folder in the folder your trying and try to read a file from there i think it will work. if same error occurs then try all those folder which are shown by the nokia PC software "Nokia PC suite" go to file mananer and check whether same error occurs or not. i dont think there will be any poblem since nokia pc software shows only those folder which r accessible. do check folder PhoneMemoryNokia\images\pictures
    this folder should work as i have been reading picture files from there.
    Regards
    Nouman

Hi Pankaj Hotwani,

I advise you to check this doc from FN for more information about FileConnection implementation on Nokia devices.

Introduction To The FileConnection API (With Example) v1.1
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._v1_1.zip.html

Excerpt:

"An example of a typical file URL in a Symbian device looks like the following -

file:///C:/Nokia/Images/Image(001).jpg

The roots of the file system are device-specific and they don’t necessarily correspond to physical memory units since they are logically defined by the device’s operating system. Furthermore, some Nokia devices support virtual roots that are basically links pointing to certain denoted directories.

For instance, the location of captured images in a memory card could be located in the file:///e:/Nokia/Images path under the e: root, but additionally there is an Images/ virtual root which points to the actual physical location.

This makes it easier to find such locations and also eases the security permissions, given that a MIDlet may have access rights to the Images/ root but not necessarily to the e:/ root."

HTH!

BR,

Juarez Jr
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil

Regular Contributor

Hi juarezjunior,

I basically want to play ringtones stored in my handset from my midlet through fileconnection api. But the problem is that I am unable to locate the rintone folder. I saw the file system through FExplorer application. There I cannot see the ringtones in the folder "c:\nokia\sounds"- the same path which I am getting through System.getPropery("fileconn.dir.tones"). Infact when I tried to locate the ringtones through FExplorer then I could see the ringtones in Z:/Nokia/Sounds/Digital folder which I am unable to access through FileConnection api (throws security exception). I tried replacing "Z" by "E" also but that didn't work either.

Also to add, I tried using the PDAPDemo application that comes along with the toolkit. I couldn't find the ringtones by browsing the filesystem through that applicaton also.

FYI:- The downloaded ringtones are getting stored in c:\nokia\sounds\digital. That I can play but the default tones that comes along with the handset like "Nokia tune.mid", those I neither can play nor able to locate.

Please help...

Regards,
    Pankaj Hotwani.

Quote Originally Posted by juarezjunior
    Hi Pankaj Hotwani,

I advise you to check this doc from FN for more information about FileConnection implementation on Nokia devices.

Introduction To The FileConnection API (With Example) v1.1
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._v1_1.zip.html

Excerpt:

"An example of a typical file URL in a Symbian device looks like the following -

file:///C:/Nokia/Images/Image(001).jpg

The roots of the file system are device-specific and they don’t necessarily correspond to physical memory units since they are logically defined by the device’s operating system. Furthermore, some Nokia devices support virtual roots that are basically links pointing to certain denoted directories.

For instance, the location of captured images in a memory card could be located in the file:///e:/Nokia/Images path under the e: root, but additionally there is an Images/ virtual root which points to the actual physical location.

This makes it easier to find such locations and also eases the security permissions, given that a MIDlet may have access rights to the Images/ root but not necessarily to the e:/ root."

HTH!

BR,

Juarez Jr
    Last edited by pankaj_hotwani; 2006-09-21 at 11:30.
    Regards,
    Pankaj Hotwani.

Regular Contributor

"cant find the folder"
    try these paths

file:///C:/Nokia/Sounds/Simple/urringtone.rng
    file:///C:/Nokia/Sounds/Digital/urringtone.rng

and if its in your memory card

file:///E:/Sounds/Digital/urringtone.rng
    file:///E:/Sounds/Simple/urringtone.rng

if there r any ringtones these then u will be able to pick them up. if u dont have any ringtones download from the net and they will be downloaded into the above folders
    Regards
    Nouman

Regular Contributor

Hi,

The downloaded ringtones are getting stored in c:\nokia\sounds\digital. That I can play but the default tones that comes along with the handset like "Nokia tune.mid", those I neither can play nor able to locate.

Regards,
    Pankaj Hotwani

Quote Originally Posted by nicenouman
    "cant find the folder"
    try these paths

file:///C:/Nokia/Sounds/Simple/urringtone.rng
    file:///C:/Nokia/Sounds/Digital/urringtone.rng

and if its in your memory card

file:///E:/Sounds/Digital/urringtone.rng
    file:///E:/Sounds/Simple/urringtone.rng

if there r any ringtones these then u will be able to pick them up. if u dont have any ringtones download from the net and they will be downloaded into the above folders
    Regards,
    Pankaj Hotwani.

Regular Contributor

the the Nokia tunes are hidden they cannot be accessed via J2me applicaition. that tune is nokia property u know and they dont give u access to it that easily.
    Regards
    Nouman