Discussion Board

3rd party dual mode phone app on the S60 3rd edition SDK

Hello,

I would need some general advices about the following scenario. Suppose that you have 3rd party dual mode VoIP/GSM application capable to handle VoIP calls while in WLAN coverage, and to handle GSM calls where no WLAN is available. Dynamic switching between this two cases is also possible during call. Issue is with the built-in Phone app, because it will interfere with 3rd party GSM handling. Please make some comments on the following approaches:

1.) Permanently disable GSM part of the built-in phone app. I guess killing of the 0x100058B3 is not allowed (it handles other important tasks) ? In this case 3rd party VoIP/GSM application uses own GUI.

2.) Integration with the built-in Phone app GUI. Main window is the same as for the built-in phone app. Built-in Phone app handles GSM part, 3rd party app handles VoIP part and switching. Some additional options are available in the built-in Phone popup menu, and some new fields in the PhoneBook (SIP URI).

What I could conclude, none of the mentioned is possible through S60 3rd edition SDK. Both approaches request for close cooperation with the phone manufacturer.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

Angry Re: 3rd party dual mode phone app on the S60 3rd edition SDK

It does seem like a tough nut to crack..this is what the technical library mentions :-

---------
    It is not possible to have two ECom plug-ins registered to handle the same media type. The first one installed will always get to handle or reject incoming requests. As the native SIP phone application is registered to handle RTP/AVP it is not possible to re-register for this media type.

There is currently no workaround for this issue as 3rd-party software cannot override or disable the built-in VoIP solution.
    ------------

Also over riding the native/default applications both GSM and VoIP wont be a good idea..unless your application can possibly handle all the scenarios and is as robust as the existing application, something which might be tough to guarantee.

Cheers
    mayank

P.S. in case u have found some information on this please update me as i am also stuck on the same lines as yu..

Super Contributor

Re: 3rd party dual mode phone app on the S60 3rd edition SDK

I'm not an expert on these matters, but I have the impression that replacing the built-in cellular telephony functionality, if it was possible, would also invalidate regulator/operator certifications of the device & make its use illegal (except in private/test networks).

Anyone who can confirm or deny this (perhaps with authoritative links to rules & regulations stating this either way)?

Super Contributor

I think if we try to just let our application handle the calling bit..and not the native phone application..still it is the inherent TSY/ECOM layer that is handling the telephony at the base/OS level..isnt it..only thing is that we have replaced the application which it will pass the call details to once it has identified that it needs to handle a call..does that make sense..?

Coz i have seen lot of non-native phone applications ...and i am wondering how are they implemented if not the same way as i say in my post earlier..?

Cheers

I agree with you. Using CTelephony in 3rd ed. you can build your own GSM application. Issue is with the incoming GSM calls. Namely, question is who is the owner of this call. By befault it is built-in phone application. Issues that seems harder to solve are:

1.) How to become (full) owner of this MTC, and to prevent built in phone app from ringing (avoid interference). Haven't found any useful solution for this.

2.) Obtaining of the caller ID is tricky, but solvable (hints may be found on the Nokia Developer Discussion pages).

Regarding ECom plug-ins, simple solution (for now) is to use Nokia models without the built-in VoIP solution, and of course to use own or 3rd party RTP/SIP stack.

Nokia Developer Expert

Post Re: 3rd party dual mode phone app on the S60 3rd edition SDK

Please note the known audio issue from the technical library. Known audio routing & delay issue (for VoIP application developers)
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technical...S60_3rd_Ed.htm

Once 3rd party "Fixed-Mobile-convergence" client has integrated the Nokia Audio Proxy Server v2 (delivered in binary format, partnered to Forum Nokia PRO members, currently available) then it solves the 1) audio delay 300ms -> 30ms (access to speech codecs G711, G729, iLBC) 2) audio routing (earpiece->loudspeaker) and also 3) ensure telephony application interworking.

This means that this APS component allows to register your application as telephony application (default: 3rd party “music” player) and then the S60 platform will provide normal telephony functions and nice telephony interworking for the audio streams. For example when you have an ongoing VoWLAN call then incoming GSM call would not activate the ringer. In this scenario you would hear the normal "knocking" which you can experience when you get second incoming GSM call during an already active GSM. Additionally user could even set up a conference call between GSM and VoIP call from the normal phone UI.

Good regional contacts (business dev mngrs, focus VoIP) at Forum Nokia:
    Americas: niklas.lyback(at)nokia.com
    EMEA: sanfrid.lindblom(at)nokia.com
    APAC: eng-wah.tay(at)nokia.com
    China: li.3. ma(at)nokia.com

Thank you nly.

I think your answer will be very useful also to other VoIP developers.

Best regards.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

If we have both GSM and VoIP functionality (for the timebeing forget about media, just signalling), then can we by pass native phone applicaiton.

in other words, can my applicaiton catches the standard menu options before catched by native applicaiton,
    or can we add any different item to the standard menu ?

Plz let me some pointers for this

BR
    bytes

Quote Originally Posted by nly View Post
    Please note the known audio issue from the technical library. Known audio routing & delay issue (for VoIP application developers)
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/Technical...S60_3rd_Ed.htm

Once 3rd party "Fixed-Mobile-convergence" client has integrated the Nokia Audio Proxy Server v2 (delivered in binary format, partnered to Forum Nokia PRO members, currently available) then it solves the 1) audio delay 300ms -> 30ms (access to speech codecs G711, G729, iLBC) 2) audio routing (earpiece->loudspeaker) and also 3) ensure telephony application interworking.

This means that this APS component allows to register your application as telephony application (default: 3rd party “music” player) and then the S60 platform will provide normal telephony functions and nice telephony interworking for the audio streams. For example when you have an ongoing VoWLAN call then incoming GSM call would not activate the ringer. In this scenario you would hear the normal "knocking" which you can experience when you get second incoming GSM call during an already active GSM. Additionally user could even set up a conference call between GSM and VoIP call from the normal phone UI.

Good regional contacts (business dev mngrs, focus VoIP) at Forum Nokia:
    Americas: niklas.lyback(at)nokia.com
    EMEA: sanfrid.lindblom(at)nokia.com
    APAC: eng-wah.tay(at)nokia.com
    China: li.3. ma(at)nokia.com