Discussion Board

Embedded while not embedded

Hi,

I've ported my application to S60 3rd Ed and now I have the problem that my application is being started embedded in the browser while the application itself thinks that it is stand-alone.

The application is being started due to a download of a file, so starting embedded is OK.
    In the 2nd Ed. the iDoorObserver variable is NULL when running stand-alone, and a value when running in embedded mode. In the 3rd Ed. application however the iDoorObserver variable is NULL while running embedded and stand-alone. Also the file is not passed as parameter to my app.

I'm using a N91.

Is this a bug or is there another way to start the application with a file as parameter from the browser in the 3rd Ed?

Thanx,

Harreld.

Super Contributor

Re: Embedded while not embedded

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot!
    That does the trick.

It seems however that it is now possible to start the application in stand-alone mode from a download. This was in 2nd Ed not possible.
    What currently not possible is yet (at least I don't get it to work) is to inform a running stand-alone application that a new file is downloaded. My application gets from the background to the front, but does not handle the new downloaded file. I don't see anywhere in the logs that it receives the file. Is there another function than ProcessCommandParametersL() that does this trick? If I can avoid that embedded mode in 3rd Ed, the better... :-)

So in short:
    App is not running, download will cause app to start in stand-alone and handling the file.
    App is running, download will cause app to come to front, but file is not handled.
    Thanx a lot!

Harreld.

Super Contributor

Nope, because as a general purpose solution the file can come from anywhere including a private folder so it has to come via OpenFileL(..RFile&) member function where the file handle can be adopted.

Hi Paul,

Thanks, it's clear, sounds resonable :-)
    Point is that the OpenFileL function in the document-handler is only called at startup (also according documentation). How do I tell the application that it should handle a new downloaded file. Symbian knows that it has to drop it at my application, because it brings it to the foreground, but there is no function reacting, neither in the document-handler and in the UI, like ProcessCommandParametersL() or ProcessMessageL().
    Or is just the only way enabling Embedded again and fetch it in embedded mode and send via SendMessage the content to my stand-alone app? I hope not, because that's what I'm doing in 2nd Ed and I want to get rid of that... and from embedded...
    Thanks in advance,

Harreld.

Super Contributor

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Are you saying that the document data is not being handled, or are you saying that if you have two applications open, both recognizing your data then what happens?

Hi Paul,

I'm afraid that I'm saying neither of the two issues. :-(
    What I'm trying to say is:

Applicaion is NOT embeddable (KAppNotEmbeddable) and not started.
    Download of a file causes application to start and handle the file. Applciation is running in stand-alone mode with file handled.

Applicaion is NOT embeddable and is alreadin running in stand-alone.
    Download of a file causes application to come to the front but doesn't do anything. File is not handled.

It would be nice that it is being handled in stand-alone mode so that I can avoid the embedded.mode.
    In other words: Can a RUNNING stand-alone application receive a file from the browser or file-explorer? If so, how?
    Thnx!

Harreld.

Super Contributor

Simple answer is no, because the application may be requesting the file be opened from within an applications data cage.

Your application may not be able to open the file because it does not have access to that part of the directory.

Technote TSS000419 in the Technical library covers this in more detail.

Unfortunalty I have only ever used the OpenFileL methods and not the other method you detailed

Hi Paul,

Thanks.
    So in other words: I cannot get rid of the embedded mode???
    What a pity, I really think is should be useful to have a possibility to open files in stand-alone mode. We use embedded only as a sort of "pass-through" way to get info in our stand-alone app, because embedded has quite some disadvantages for our application.

Well, in embedded I also get some problems.
    I followed the instructions of http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=83972 and the problem I have now is a crashing embedded app with a KERN-EXEC 3 panic.
    It is the same code for 2nd Ed which works perfect, and stand-alone also works perfect. I already double-checked the code, but can't find anything that is 3rd Ed specific that could cause a problem.

I read somewhere in a document that in the 3rd Ed an embedded application has to be a Server Application, is that correct? And if so, could that cause a KERN-EXEC 3 if that it is not? What should I do to get it that way?
    Thanks in advance!

Harreld.

Hi!

I think that I found the cause of the crash.
    It seems that the embedded application in the 3rd Ed also has the same UID as when stand-alone. In the 2nd Ed this is not the case, it has the UID of the browser.

Problem here is that I check in embedded mode if our application is running or not via TApaTask. If not, I start it, but it it is running, I send a message to it after which I Exit the embedded application. In 2nd Ed this works well since the embedded mode has the UID of the browser, but in 3rd Ed it will find itself, resulting sending a message to itself... Exiting after sending and receiving a message during or after Exiting... Panic!!!!

I guess that I have to deal with the fact that embedded now also has the same UID as stand-alone (or is it a bug???), question now is: How can I find out if there is already a stand-alone version running of my app???
    Thanks!

Harreld.

Regular Contributor

Hi mobhaku

I have a similar problem to you and have just added a new thread about this:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...120#post254120

I am wanting my app to support my custom datatype with recognizer, but since my app is running *always*, by opening a file with my datatype, the framework just brings my app to the foreground, but does not call OpenFileL.

I am thinking that the only way to deal with this problem is to have two apps. One (the original) will run always and be non-embedded and does not handle the datatype. And the other will be embedded, hidden and handles the datatype. What do you think of this approach?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!