Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

HTTP headers for S60 3rd Ed. Browser

This note outlines the HTTP header strings sent by the browsers included in S60 3rd Edition and provides some recommendations web content owners. Another note will outline the HTTP headers used by the browser included in S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1.

This note operates with two concepts for which there exist no unique industry terms. Therefore, the term "full Web" denotes web pages written to be consumed on devices with large screens such as PCs. The term "traditional mobile browsing" refers to web pages specifically constructed for small screen devices such as mobile phones using XHTML-MP or WML.
    - - - - - - - -

Web sites use HTTP headers received from the browser to decide what kind of content to send: WML (WAP 1.x), XHTML-MP (WAP 2.0), HTML (full Web).
    The new OSS Web Browser for S60, which started shipping with S60 3rd Edition, is capable of displaying full Web pages; a feature users like. However, to users' disappointment some web sites force redirect to mobile web sites based on XHTML-MP or WML and some search engines force transcoding of resulting sites through their proxy. Nokia highly recommends that users be allowed to decide whether to accept traditional mobile format, which can be faster, or accept full HTML web pages, which generally offers a richer and more familiar experience (see further recommendation below).

S60 3rd Edition has two browsers included
    - The original S60 browser titled "Services" in the S60 menu is based on a WAP engine, and does not handle big Web pages
    - The new OSS Web browser, which in 3rd Edition does not yet have WAP and other traditional mobile capabilities
    The reason two browsers are included is that the target audience for the phones and operators alike require a full Web browser in addition to traditional mobile browsing capabilities. The functionality of the new OSS Browser will be extended in S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1 to include traditional mobile browsing eliminating the need for two browsers.

The following document the HTTP headers for both browsers:

The new OSS Browser (HTML, XHTML-MP):
    In S60 3rd Edition this browser is not the default browser. It may be featured in the Active Standby menu bar or in the menu grid, but it will not be opened when URL is selected in another application (e.g. message).

- Original UA string on S60 3.0 Web browser:
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; [en-us]) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413
    - "Rogue" UA strings that might ship on some uncorrected 3.0 devices:
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; [en]; SymbianOS/91 Series60/3.0) AppleWebkit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61
    - Final UA string for newer S60 3.0 builds:
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; [en]; Series60/3.0 NokiaE60/4.06.0) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,text/css,text/vnd.nokia.rs-tgd, */*,text/x-hdml,image/mng,image/x-mng,video/mng,video/x-mng,image/bmp,text/html
    Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1, utf-8; q=0.7, *; q=0.7,*
    Accept-Encoding: deflate, gzip
    Accept-Language: en;q=1.0,zh-cn, zh;q=0.5

** See also Notes below **

Recommendations:
    Web sites should ideally send full HTML to this browser, and not default to XHTML-MP. In no circumstances should a site send WML, since this browser cannot display WML. Search engines and operators should not transcode Web sites into XHTML-MP or WML.
    Nokia believes S60 users will generally prefer to see full Web pages rather than basic mobile pages. However, there are times when mobile content is preferred because it is faster and simpler to navigate, and/or for business/advertising reasons. When the mobile page provides a good user experience on S60, it may make sense to redirect users to the mobile page by default.
    Nokia recommends providing users a choice between full Web (HTML) and traditional mobile web (XHTML-MP). Restricting S60 users from accessing full web (HTML) content is highly undesirable and strongly advised against. Instead users should be provided a choice between full web (HTML) and traditional mobile web (XHTML-MP) and preferably the choise should be made "sticky" via a cookie freeing the user from constantly having to switch between the two formats.
    Examples for user choice:
    - Switch to: mobile | full page
    - Change view: mobile | desktop
    - View: mobile | HTML
    - View: faster | richer

The Services Browser (XHTML-MP, WML):
    The original S60 WAP browser is still the default browser in S60 3rd Edition, but has been renamed “Services” (in S60 2nd Edition it is called “Web”). It supports the following formats:
    WAP 1.x (WML),
    WAP 2.x (XHTML-MP with W-CSS and ECMAScript-MP),
    some cHTML and operator-specific extensions
    Small, simple Web pages (HTML + CSS + ECMAScript/JavaScript)
    URLs opened from other applications (e.g. message) will open the Services browser

The Services browser User-Agent string follows the old format on most devices, but unfortunately there may be some variation

- User-Agent:
    NokiaN73-2/3.0-630.0.2 Series60/3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1
    or: NokiaN73-2/2.0626 S60/3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1
    or: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; S60/3.0 NokiaN73-1/2.0(2.0617.0.0.7) Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Accept: text/javascript, text/ecmascript, application/x-javascript, text/html, application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml, application/xhtml+xml, text/css, multipart/mixed, text/vnd.wap.wml, application/vnd.wap.wmlc, application/vnd.wap.wmlscriptc, application/java-archive, application/java, application/x-java-archive, text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor, application/vnd.oma.drm.message, application/vnd.oma.drm.content, application/vnd.wap.mms-message, application/vnd.wap.sic, text/x-co-desc, application/vnd.oma.dd+xml, */*
    Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1, utf-8, iso-106460ucs-2; q=0.6
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, defliate, x-gzip, identity; q=0.9
    Accept-Language: en;q=1.0,fr;q=0.5, pt;q=0.5, es;q=0.5
    x-wap-profile: "http://nds.nokia.com/uaprof/NN73-2r100.xml"

** See also Notes below **

Recommendations:
    Web sites should ideally send XHTML-MP for this browser, and not default to the full Web page or WML
    Search engines and operators are recommended to transcode web sites into XHTML-MP or WML

Notes:
    The device name/version (e.g. "NokiaE60/4.06.0") is replaced by the actual device name/version
    "Series60/3.0" is replaced by the actual S60 version, e.g. "Series60/3.1"
    "[en-us]" or "en" is replaced by the current user-selected language in the phone settings (e.g. "[fi]" or "fi" for Finnish), dynamically changing if user changes language settings. For English "[en-us]" or "en-us" will be dropped in favor of "[en]“ or "en". In 3.1 the language will no longer be included in the User-Agent header, but will be in the Accept-Language, without square brackets
    The x-wap-profile value "http://nds1.nds.nokia.com/uaprof/N3250r100.xml" (including the " characters) is replaced by the link to the actual profile for the particular device and version, provided by the particular terminal program
    There is a future possibility that some devices will remove the Java Profile version & Nokia device version, and will refer to user-agent profile instead.

Algorithm for determining which content type to send to Nokia devices:
    if (User-Agent contains "AppleWebKit")
    {
    if (User-Agent contains "SymbianOS")
        <<< use full HTML version (a phone with WebKit engine)
    else
        <<< use full HTML version (Apple Safari)
    }
    else if (User-Agent contains "Nokia")
    {
    <<< use XHTML version (old S60 "Services" browser or Series 40 browser)
    }

Re: HTTP headers for S60 3rd Ed. Browser

Is there an emulator for the S60 browsers?

And does this emulator work under Windows XP with Java Runtime Version 1.5.0 (Build 1.5.0_08-b03)?

And what is the most important thing: If you deliver an emulator can we connect it to the internet and to a local server for testing? With the S40 SDK it was not possible to establish a connection. Otherwise we will not see any user agent string!

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Both the S60 C++ and Java SDKs support the browser and yes, it can go online. It sounds as if the SDK doesn't carry the JRE that it depends on and perhaps doesn't ensure that it finds one known to work. I know the S40 SDK will highlight that it is being started in an environment in which it is not tested just to warn the user that this can lead to unintended behavior. We will see if the S60 SDK does the same.

Regarding the S40 SDK not being able to go online from the browser, this is not the way it is supposed to work, but we have had seen the problem, and will try to come up with a work-around as we have seen several references to this problem.

I'll try to keep everyone informed on this situation.

Ron

Post Re: HTTP headers for S60 3rd Ed. Browser

I have just noted that some Nokia handsets (e.g. some N73 versions) do not send any 'x-wap-profile' header during browser requests. I only get the following UA header:
    User-Agent='Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413'

This rises two questions to me:

1) Is that a bug or feature?

2) If it is not a bug - how can I detect e.g. a handset's video/java capabilities from the browser headers?

From the eyes of a multi content service provider it is a serious issue if you cannot forward handsets to content (e.g. video/streaming) matching the capabilities of the specific handset.

Anders

Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

Is the useragent when the device is in Web Mode (not services/Wap Mode).

Designed specifically to enable Web Browsing.
    Although i agree it leaves the quandry of what do you deliver to the device.

We've started flagging these devices as Wireless_web_browsers and basing content on HTTP Accept as well as some common capabilities.
    Treating them more like cut down web browsers.
    http://wapple.net
    Mobile Internet Solutions

I understand the problems related to ordinary web browsing from handsets described earlier in this thread. However, I still wonder why Nokia has stopped sending the 'x-wap-profile' header while working in web-mode.

I understand that these new handsets are much more competent than ordinary wap browsers. However, as far as I understand, these newer handsets still differ when it comes to screen size, video capabilities etc.

E.g., if an N73 user from his web-browser wants to watch a streamed video clip it is still relevant to present him with a videoformat his handset supports. If handset profile info is unavailable to the webserver it becomes pretty impossible to customize content according to handset capabilities and link to a compatible content format.

- My main question is: How can I detect the handset profile at serverside if the browser does not send this info, e.g. as in the 'x-wap-profile' header?

Ok this has totally broken all content delivery to new nokia handhelds.

If we cannot detect the handset we cannot.

1) check screensize for wallpaper download,Users dont know what screensize they have.

2) Deliver themes after next update of series 60 phones.

3) deliver correct java games, delivering different keymappings based on difference in handset keyboards.

4) SIP profiles, The next big thing is going to be much harder.

5) Program around handset bugs. There are always some handsets with some small problem that needs to be fixed. Unless Nokia(symbian) has stopped doing bugs....

I have to say that this is not well thougt through. And based on the amount of money the content industry is generating and thereby showing how much people are willing to pay for content crafted for their handsets.

There is NO REASON for braking this. Its a simple useragent part OR a header part. And the reason given is totally bogus because the same effect would be recceved by renaming the x-wap-profile to something else.

PLEASE change this in the next device releases. This is not good for us developers We need to be able to detect the handset type.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks for the feedback!
    Looks like this will change in 3rd Edition FP1 devices (the server is able to find out which device is browsing the site). At least that's what the prototype devices are sending out.
    N95 proto:
    "Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95/1.47.054 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0"

Hartti

That will be much more useful, nice to see feedback->resolutions happening.

Thanks Hartti.

Roughly how many of the more recent handsets could potentially be using the older useragent?
    Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

I assume it's limited to S60 series 3.0 devices? or just the N-** E-** models.
    Just screensizes are hugely different in the N and E series devices.

The reason i ask is does it warrant allowing the user to select their model from those known devices when visiting a site with that user agent or offering them the lowest common denominator of those devices.
    Last edited by SimonThomas; 2006-12-15 at 18:26.
    http://wapple.net
    Mobile Internet Solutions

Nokia Developer Champion

All S60 3rd Edition devices (14 different devices, if my memory serves me right) use that same user agent on the Web browser.

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron
    Both the S60 C++ and Java SDKs support the browser and yes, it can go online. It sounds as if the SDK doesn't carry the JRE that it depends on and perhaps doesn't ensure that it finds one known to work. I know the S40 SDK will highlight that it is being started in an environment in which it is not tested just to warn the user that this can lead to unintended behavior. We will see if the S60 SDK does the same.

Regarding the S40 SDK not being able to go online from the browser, this is not the way it is supposed to work, but we have had seen the problem, and will try to come up with a work-around as we have seen several references to this problem.

I'll try to keep everyone informed on this situation.

Ron
    Thank you for your answer, Ron. I installed the S60 SDK and it is able to connect to the internet and to the local test server. Whereas the S40 Emulators cannot connect.

I know it works on mobiles as well, but does it work only on Nokia or any other mobiles as well. I have an Opera Mini on one of my mobiles, but I am not sure if it will work for integrating a personalized home page of my Costa Rica real estate site. Any suggestions, please?

Is their a complete list of the User Agent's for all devices. I have a device and it reports the incorrect user agent string.

Thanks.

I use wurfl for all older handsets
    http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/index.php

for newer handset I use x-wap-profile http header which SHOULD have a link to an xml file that has all the phone capabilites (sort of)

Nokia Developer Champion

fallauk,

What device are you talking about and what is the User Agent reported?

Hartti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast