Discussion Board

E70 - IM Setting for Yahoo Messenger

In E70, there is application Instant Messaging. How can I define setting of IM for Yahoo Messenger service.

Nokia Developer Champion
    Should be asked there, additionally, have a look at ChatNU as you need a OMA IMPS proxy to access your normal IM with the internal Nokia Chat client. Nevertheless, ChatNu does not support Yahoo and I know no working alternative for Nokia S60 3rd Edition (OMA IMPS 1.2).

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: E70 - IM Setting for Yahoo Messenger

The built-in IM app supports only, so called, Wireless Village IM. Not Internet "standard" IM systems like ICQ/AOL, Yahoo!, MSN, etc.

There are such "standard" IM apps for the phone, tough: Agile Messenger, IM+, etc.

Nokia Developer Champion
    Well, the internal Chat client supports legacy IM platforms, if the server acts as a proxy for them. Today, I see not much reason for Java MIDlets or Symbian OS C applications in this field anymore, especially because the Nokia IMPS client is very, very nice integrated.

Unhappy Re: E70 - IM Setting for Yahoo Messenger

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    Well, the internal Chat client supports legacy IM platforms, if the server acts as a proxy for them. Today, I see not much reason for Java MIDlets or Symbian OS C applications in this field anymore, especially because the Nokia IMPS client is very, very nice integrated.
    The IM-Client really seems to be nicely integrated. But with my Nokia E70 it is impossible to contact any server. (It works with an E51 and E90) It is also impossible to use a WLAN-Access Point with the E70 IM client. Is it possible that the E70 IM_client needs GSM-network (as in mobile network operator) support?

1. Is there any way to use a WLAN-Access point with the E70 to debug what is send and where?

2. Does the E70 IMClient need network support or is my "Web Address" wrong? How schould it look like?

Regards,
    silenius

Nokia Developer Champion
    silenius, not aware of a solution over Wireless LAN for a Nokia E70, I tried. Are you able to use Chat over Wireless LAN in Nokia E51 or Nokia E90 (Feature Pack 1 devices)? I was not able to do so in an early Nokia N95, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    silenius, not aware of a solution over Wireless LAN for a Nokia E70, I tried. Are you able to use Chat over Wireless LAN in Nokia E51 or Nokia E90 (Feature Pack 1 devices)? I was not able to do so in an early Nokia N95, if I recall correctly.
    The web address http://mobjab.mobi:9090 seems to work with my account there. You have to register (for free) there first: http://www.mobjab.com/register/index.php?reg=1

With the E51 I only checked that I can see a registration attempt on my TCP-Server. I don't know if it really works.

But my E70 didn't even reach the Servers tcp-port.

But no, I did not actually chat with any of those. I tested only the registration.

silenius

Hi

Works with my E62 with mobjab. Maybe you should email them up on this cause they can check their servers

Ricky

PC version tried for yahoo messenger - download from this page - could be installed on my Nokia mobile phone or there is a version special for mobiles ?

Ana