Discussion Board

Stolen mobile locate with GPS

Why can't nokia allow for a mobile to be located via a users computer using GPS, why not? Surely this would be great for locating stolen mobiles!

Samuel, UK

Super Contributor

Re: Stolen mobile locate with GPS

1: Very few mobiles actually have built-in GPS

2: Even if a mobile had a GPS receiver, such a device does not transmit where it is, but it receives information from satellites that it uses to calculate where the receiver is (in other words, it would then also use some other channel to transmit its location, too).

3: Even if the device had a GPS receiver, and also a mechanism for transmitting the position somewhere, transmitting location data costs money for whomever pays for the SIM card. Doing so con.

4: If the device has a GPS receiver + means to send the positoning data & the user accepts that it costs, it would have to be sent somewhere, which means someone would have to operate such a data collection service. That'd be rather costly, too (and including that in the device cost would make the devices much more expensive).

5: There are probably legal obstacles, too.

6: It won't work, if the phone is powered off.

So...

- back up your phone's data regularly (to memory cards, to a PC)
    - in addition you can synchronize contacts, calendar + copy messages & other content to a PC separately
    - record your phone's IMEI (serial number) somewhere you can get at it if you loose it
    - turn on the feature that requires a PIN code to be entered when the phone is powered on
    - turn on the feature that requires a security/lock code to be entered, if a different SIM card is used
    - change the security code from its default value to something only you know
    - don't forget the code
    - set a password on any memory cards
    - don't forget those, either
    - for additional security, turn also on the security/lock code request after a timeout
    - Communicators (9500, 9300, 9300i) and Eseries phones (E50, E60, E61, E62, E70) also have a remote locking feature, where you can send an SMS to the phone, and it will be locked
    - if you loose the phone, report it immediately as lost or stolen with your IMEI code, and many operators should block if from being used on their networks

These will not help recover a lost/stolen phone, but they will make it much harder for most people to use your phone & the backups will keep your data safe.

Super Contributor

P.S. There is also network based location services, but their accuracy is not that good (around hundreds of meters, depending on the location and network base station location and where the device is relative to them). GPS accuracy is within a meter or two.

err.. why can't a person use MGMap-Tracker?, it works as a GPS reciever and a transmitter, you can find the location of the mobile online http://www.gmap-track.com/

Super Contributor

Of course a person can; the point is that sucn an app has to be installed and running on a phone first, and something like that might not work if a thief changes the SIM card, or even resets/reformats the phone (or just uninstalls apps they don't like).

Quote Originally Posted by petrib
    Of course a person can; the point is that sucn an app has to be installed and running on a phone first, and something like that might not work if a thief changes the SIM card, or even resets/reformats the phone (or just uninstalls apps they don't like).
    If a person is really concerned about safety, then:

an app has to be installed and running on a phone first
    he can minimize it...

and something like that might not work if a thief changes the SIM card
    he can use Phone guardian

or just uninstalls apps they don't like
    he can use Advanced Device locks

But ofcourse, u have to do all these if and only if you are really concerned about ur mobile being stolen

What I dont understand is why doesn't nokia ship more anti-theft and tracking features like many of its competitors do? Two months back my brand new E61i was stolen and now my N95 has been stolen from the same place! I do know the IMEI of both the stolen phones but nokia priority centres and service providers say they can do anything to track it or block it (btw, Im from India).
    Is there some way I can recover at least one of them ?

Super Contributor

You can report the phone stolen to the local police.

The devices have also several security features, which you could have turned on:
    - you could make it request PIN code for the SIM card every time it is turned on
    - you could make it request a lock/security code every time the SIM card is changed
    - you could make it automatically lock the keypad after a while and then require the lock/security code to access contents
    - you could put a password on the memory card requiring it if someone tries to use the card in some other device
    - the E61i has also an additional security feature to lock the phone if a security SMS was sent to the phone

There are also some additional security applications you can buy to protect/encrypt messages, photos, etc.

Making frequent backups of the phone data would also at least let you keep a copy of the data in case you lost the phone.

If you did not use any of the security features, all you're left with is, as stated, reporting it to the local police and your own network operator as stolen.

What other anti-theft and tracking features does Nokias competitors have, but Nokia doesn't? Can you name a few such features and also which competitors use them and in which phone models?

Exclamation Re: Stolen mobile locate with GPS

Dear Sir
    here i"m locating in (KANCHIPURAM,TAMIL NADU)INDIA. my mobile was thefted in 15day before. which way i am found my mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by B.RAJAGANAPATHY View Post
    Dear Sir
    here i"m locating in (KANCHIPURAM,TAMIL NADU)INDIA. my mobile was thefted in 15day before. which way i am found my mobile.
    Dear sir
    kindly help me

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by B.RAJAGANAPATHY View Post
    Dear sir
    kindly help me

You can not locate the phone, unless you have some antitheft application installed.

Please discuss end user issues here,
    http://discussion.europe.nokia.com

This discussion board is meant for sw developers.

Best Regards,
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com