Discussion Board

elf2e32 : Error: E1063: Fatal Error in Postlinker

Hi. We are porting our engine to s60 3rd edition (well, symbian 9). After some grief, everything seemed to go great. With both our software gl pipe and ogles pipe we were flipping the screens happily with N93. But for some games using the engine we want to force the orientation to portrait or landscape and this brought a new problem. If I add a call to SetOrientationL() in the AppUi, I get

elf2e32 : Error: E1063: Fatal Error in Postlinker

The call is in a piece code that gets linked to a static library. Compiling and linking that library is fine. When building the actual game binary, and linking against that library, we get the error. Everything seems to compile and link fine up until the post-linker kicks in. We're building a GCCE target. If I remove the above call from the library, it compiles and links fine and the binary works flawlessly.

The post-linker hasn't been part of the toolchain before 3rd edition, but anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

[edit: tried to explain myself a bit better...]
    Last edited by n1k0; 2006-09-25 at 10:45.

Re: elf2e32 : Error: E1063: Fatal Error in Postlinker

Hi again. This was mysteriously solved. I made an udeb build, and it worked. It was quite fast as well (no major differences I presumes). I added a profiler class to the project and accidentally compiled an urel build. It worked. I removed the profiler and now it still works. :|

Re: elf2e32 post-linker fatal error

Hi,

It also happened to me once when linking SetScaleFactor() from CVideoplayerUtility class. The issue was resolved when I compiled Debug configuration first and then I compiled a release configuration. Then it compiled successfully but makesis failed to build a sis file.

Re: elf2e32 post-linker fatal error

Hi
    I take if from the top to for clarity,
    When compiling ("abld build gcce urel") I got this error message
    "elf2e32 : Error: E1036: Symbol _ZNK8XXX4CIap4NameEv Missing from ELF File :
    \Symbian\UIQ3SDK\EPOC32\BUILD\Symbian\UIQ3SDK\uiq\group\UIQ3\ABC\GCCE
    \UREL\ABC_0x20018A2B.dll"

Here is what you do:
    #1 Solution:
    Under your project files eg: "c:\symbian\carbide\workspace\myproject" remove the DEF related to the ABC file (or delete ALL the DEF files under your project)!
    Build ("abld build gcce urel"), freeze ("abld freeze -r"), build again ("abld build gcce urel"). If problem persists for a different symbol name, repeat the process.

#2 Solution:
    Under your project files eg:
    Search for the "_ZNK8XXX4CIap4NameEv" should be lookated in a DEF file in your project, easy to use Carbide to search!
    Delete the line from the DEF file (DEF files are just textfiles)
    and save the file, build ("abld build gcce urel").
    If problem persists for a different symbol name, repeat the process.

The problem was that I thought "abld reallyclean" removed my DEF files under my project files BUT reallyclean ONLY remove the files under the EPOC32 directory!

NB!! THIS OPERATION WILL BREAK THE BINARY COMPABILITY, MOST times this is not a problem but be carefull.

Good Luck
    Last edited by janigerud; 2008-08-12 at 12:37.