Discussion Board

SOLVED : 7650 MIDI problem

Hi,

a good few questions turned around the complex 'Why can't I download Midi-tones with a 7650 ?'

The solution for this is so simple that it can take ages to find it, for you can not see the wood for the trees.

Yes it is a MIME problem, but the solution is soooooo simple :

The Nokia 7650 does not like the .mid extension !
    It insists on .midi !!!!

We tried for days and were close to suicide and then just tried renaming the file from whatever.mid to whatever.midi, added the .midi MIME to our IIS and five seconds later the ringtone arrived on the phone.

It is weird it is not standard (from the clients perspective) BUT IT WORKS. Simple as that.

So all CP's out there put the Smith and Wesson back in the draqer (as opposed to the mouth), rename your files, add the MIME extention and start selling :-)

Guido Brockmann
    GSMonline.be

Super Contributor

RE: SOLVED : 7650 MIDI problem

Hi,

This is quite interesting. We have tested this with several 7650's and I just tested it again (sw. v 3.12). Downloading MIDI files with *.mid extension works fine. I don't know if you're mixing file extension with MIME type, which is different. And speaking of MIME types, with 7650 you should use audio/midi or audio/sp-midi.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

I've made test with *.mid files and it's working fine.
    But you can save the file you listen... so after reading documentations, I ve made some test but I have still errors.

I used a midi file and convert it into a mm file with the Nokia Publisher. I added the MIME type application/x-mrm-text .mm
    I test and... I have a error 406...

Can someone help me ? I would like to preview a file and to save a file by to different ways...

thx in advance

Arnaud

Super Contributor

Hi,

> I used a midi file and convert it into a mm file with the
    > Nokia Publisher. I added the MIME type application/x-mrm-text .mm
    > I test and... I have a error 406...

This is because the only terminal that supports "On-the-phone content preview" is 3410 and it doesn't support MIDI. 7650 doesn't support "On-the-phone content preview". More from http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,35452,1_41_3,00.html.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

I had similar problems on the 7650 (406 errors) but the problem was solved by simply ending the connection, clearing the cache and reconnecting. Hurrah - suddenly it all worked!

Anthony Jenking
    npsl

V odd.

As the Nokia 7650 insists on saving the ringtone on the handset in exactly the same name as the file on the server (ie ugly!) - we stripped off the .mid / .midi from all our ringtone file names, and they sill download fine.

I doubt then that it is a problem with the .mid extension, but more likely a strange oddity in the server.