Discussion Board

How to make old sdk installations disappear?

I'm reinstalling sdk (broke the old installation). I have already uninstalled the old sdk's and also deleted the S60_3rd_MR directory. Now when I'm installing new there is _2 end of the dir like C:\Symbian\9.1\S60_3rd_MR_2\. Is there an easy way to remove this or do I just have to install it to that directory?

Regular Contributor

Re: How to make old sdk installations disappear?

I did fix it once, it was some registry hacking. Unfortunately I've forgotten what I did :<

Anyway, dig around with regedit, you should find it.

Super Contributor

The version numbering is a feature of the SDK. It should not cause any issues.

Regular Contributor

Well if uninstall does not work, and have have those paths hardcoded on scripts or other files, you need to then change thosefiles. Well, this is actually one good reason to always use subst to map virtual drive (from dos, type subst x: <sdk_path> and use x: drive for everything).

In any case, IIRC you can fix this problem by cleaning out regkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nokia\com.nokia.s60.

Quote Originally Posted by mitts
    The version numbering is a feature of the SDK. It should not cause any issues.
    Unfortunately, it does cause issues even if one takes great care to avoid hard-coded SDK paths, because the version numbering also affects the name of the SDK in the "devices" command.

If you have build scripts for multiple platform versions, all "@S60_3rd_MR:com.nokia.s60" and "devices -setdefault" commands will stop being portable across machines when you run into this issue. If you have to set up workstations for multiple developers, this can cause quite a hassle...

It seems that removing the old S60_3rd_MR directory (not sure if this is needed), and deleting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nokia\com.nokia.s60 key will revert the "counter" back to zero, and give you an installation with the correct SDK name.

It makes sense to allow multiple SDK installations side-by-side with this feature, but why doesn't uninstalling correctly count down this key? I would say this probably shouldn't have passed Symbian Signed. ;-)