Discussion Board

Possible to "override" incoming phone call dialog

Question is in the topic and the platform is S60 and the programming language C++.

How it usually works on mobile phones is when someone calls me some information is displayed on the display like Name (if I have the contact in my phone book) and phonenumber and if I want to answer the call or reject it and so on..

I'm wondering if it's possible to add extra information on the display when an incoming phone call is being received.. so in a way to "override" the default display of incoming phone calls... it could be information like when that person called me last time or just fetching some information from the web and displaying it on the display...

Re: Possible to "override" incoming phone call dialog

Those "dialogs" (bubbles) are drawn over the Phone app display. Currently, there's no way to extend this functionality (ie. adding plugins, etc). The only way is making your own app step above the phone app screen. This way, you can show whatever you wish to the user. Regarding fetching info from the web, forget it, it would be very slow, and besides, current devices don't allow such connections (while handling a circuit switched call)

Quote Originally Posted by PushL
    Those "dialogs" (bubbles) are drawn over the Phone app display. Currently, there's no way to extend this functionality (ie. adding plugins, etc). The only way is making your own app step above the phone app screen. This way, you can show whatever you wish to the user. Regarding fetching info from the web, forget it, it would be very slow, and besides, current devices don't allow such connections (while handling a circuit switched call)
    Alrighty then.. thanks for your quick answer!

How come though does the MSN Messenger client for mobiles work at the same time when receiving a call? A friend of mine can chat on MSN and talk on the phone at the same time and he's using a Nokia N80 with S60v3...

Wouldn't it be possible for me to then write an app that steps above the phone app screen and fetches info from the web?

Is he able to send/receive messages while the call is established? AFAIK, there isn't any class A gprs device so far.
    For further info, check http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/class.shtml

Nokia Developer Moderator

According to its own site at www.nseries.com, the N80 is of EGPRS Class B.