Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Arrow SOS: Please a little bit of help with the JSR-179 API !!!

Hi, people!

I'm here again with a question that can look a bit stupid!

If a mobile phone, like the Nokia N93, includes the JSR-179 (Location API), does it mean that this phone has a GPS transceiver integrated?

If it's so, why that feature doesn't appear in the technical specifications?

If I'm in error, I can use this API with an external GPS or I can use this API with information from the operator (Cell ID) and with other posibilities according to the JSR-179 specification. But my pretension is to use this API with an external GPS (LEADTEK):
    Does this API make automatically the Inquiry and ServiceDiscovery processes or I need to implement them and when I've opened the fluxes of data I can start to use it?

Thanks in advance!

I admit all type of suggestions!
    Last edited by Summerman; 2006-09-27 at 11:41.

Super Contributor

Re: SOS: Please a little bit of help with the JSR-179 API !!!

No. The presence of JSR-179 does not automatically mean that the device also has a built-in GPS receiver.

An application using location based services may depend also on an external Bluetooth GPS adapter, or network based location services (if the network supports such).

So, either you also buy a separate GPS receiver, or use a SIM card from an operator who supports network based LBS.

Regular Contributor

Re: SOS: Please a little bit of help with the JSR-179 API !!!

Thanks Petrib!

After reading all the morning about the JSR-179 API, I've noted that as you say I must use a 'LocationProvider' object that matches with an external BLUETOOTH GPS receiver or directly with the network operator (COO=Cell Of origin method, for example) but I have the premonition that this 'LocationProvider' object will manage the BT connection and I would like to have the total control of that BT link! I would like to know when the link is dropped and what is the information that the GPS receives, if no GPS data are available!

I know that JSR-189 abstracts the NMEA 0183 protocol, in this particular case, releasing the developer from parsing this protocol, but I think myself if it is worth this abstraction instead of making the parsing by myself!

Please are there any suggestions or notes about this issue?
    Last edited by Summerman; 2006-09-27 at 13:07.

Super Contributor

Re: If the JSR-179 API is included in a mobile phone...

hi,

read FN (nokia) docs about JSR179 implementation:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso..._services.html

I've already made some prototyping and (having only one Nokia device with that api) for me it seems that:
    - location provider availability is tested by implementation and obtaining reference returns immadiately
    - then implementation uses its own way to find out what data is available and expose it to java via jsr179 api,
    for example on my device implementation automatically:
    - mark that provider is available (even if device bt and bt gps module are switched off)
    Code:
     locationProvider = LocationProvider.getInstance(null);
    and then:
    Code:
    int state = locationProvider.getState();
    - internally tries to establish connection to bt module skipping providing location data from operator (not sure why - I've contacted my service provider tech support and don't received a word about that yet), if bluetooth is switched off one is asked about enabling bt, etc,
    so it means its up to implementaiton to provide data to our java application and except of Criteria object we don't have much control about that I think (I was wondering about asking FN team about that implementation details after playing today with gps module - I was measuring alt differencies between my flat and flat where I'm taking math lessons each Friday )

location is always type of:
    - MTA_UNASSISTED
    - MTE_SATELLITE
    - MTY_TERMINALBASED
    on my 3250 device while using ld-3w nokia gps module,

regards,
    Peter

Regular Contributor

Talking Re: If the JSR-179 API is included in a mobile phone...

Thanks Peter! Your help is always welcome!

Then, if I've understood you well you've said that although your GPS receiver was switch off, when you create the LocalProvider object (with null in its argument) the MIDlet ask you for permission to start a search for BT devices!

Do you have any experience with other GPS libraries for MIDP devices that don't support JSR-179 API?

If you have some experience with that, Can you advise me the best library to develop an application fastly and simply?

Thanks Peter, I'm looking forward to your response!

Super Contributor

Re: If the JSR-179 API is included in a mobile phone...

hi,

your devices without jsr179 you need:
    - device with JSR82 (bluetooth) support
    - any 3rd party library or your own implementation to parse data incoming from bluetooth module,
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...highlight=NMEA
    search net for "NMEA" term,
    example of such possible findings:
    http://www.universal-locator.com/
    hth,
    regards,
    Peter