Discussion Board

Question regarding Java vs Symbian C++

I am an Art student and i'm writing a report about java and symbian c++, so I would like to do a little research here about advantages of Java, as I known, using Symbian C++ can use more functionalities than Java, but I'd like to know some details regarding in terms of speed, stability, functionality and compatibility.

speed:
    C++ sounds to be faster than Java as it is compiled to native code. What about speed for graphics? Symbian C++ seems to have some graphical accelerator functions that Java does not have, but was KVM implemented in a way that acceleration is automatic?

stability:
    two well-written program, using Java and Symbian C++ respectively, which is more stable? Or, which language is more easier to write stable program?

functionality:
    Java seems to have less control of the system, but more JSRs can let MIDlet have more functionalities, what about symbian C++?

compatibility:
    Program written in Symbian C++ can be used only in Symbian OS, but Symbian OS also supports Java MIDlet. How difficult/easy to migrate a Java/Symbian C++ program from one handset to another?

Please help me for above questions, thanks a lot.

Re: Question regarding Java vs Symbian C++

Native Symbian software are a lot faster than Java software in everysense (at least in my experience). So if the application needs raw processing power or in some cases raw pixel processing power, then you should choose Symbian. But for the development speed, i'd say it's easier to create the application with JavaME, but you won't be able to use all the features in the phones.

JSRs will let MIDlets use more functionality in the phones, but with Symbian you can access them right away, without waiting for JSR implementations, and also you can access features that might never get a JSR implementation.

It is easier to make errors when coding in C++ than in Java because Java is more high-level language than C++, and has automatic garbage collection.

JaveME programs should run on multiple different platforms if coded right. Platforms even from different phone manufacturers from which you originally coded the software from. Symbian programs will only run on Symbian phones. But ofcourse you could write portable C++ for porting the application engine to another platform, the problem is, that Symbian OS has some odd stuff like the custom cleanupstack, descriptors, two-phase constructors etc. which you will have to reimplement for the other platforms.

Other forum members are free to correct my mistakes if there are any.

Hi Olnex,

Let me try to help you somehow.

speed:
    C++ sounds to be faster than Java as it is compiled to native code. What about speed for graphics? Symbian C++ seems to have some graphical accelerator functions that Java does not have, but was KVM implemented in a way that acceleration is automatic?

AFAIK C++ will (almost) always be faster. There are other types of JVMs besides KVM - CLDC HI, Savaje, etc. Check:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...hlight=Symbian

stability:
    two well-written program, using Java and Symbian C++ respectively, which is more stable? Or, which language is more easier to write stable program?

Security is a broad subject but regarding "safe programming", I think java is more secure than C++ (Garbage Collection, memory management, Java Security).

functionality:
    Java seems to have less control of the system, but more JSRs can let MIDlet have more functionalities, what about symbian C++?

Symbian C++ is more powerful than JME and it has much more APIs if compared to JME.

compatibility:
    Program written in Symbian C++ can be used only in Symbian OS, but Symbian OS also supports Java MIDlet. How difficult/easy to migrate a Java/Symbian C++ program from one handset to another?

Symbian C++ to Symbian C++ - It can be hard, it depends on a lot of issues (OS version, edition and FPs), frameworks (S60, UIQ, etc).

JME - it's not straightforward but it can be easier - but note that some JME APIs were too fragmented - MMAPI, for example.

It will also depend on the devices you have the app running and the target ones (same OS version? Same S60? Same Nokia Series, for example?).

Hope it helps!

BR,

Juarez Junior
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil

Thanks a lot, that's really helpful !!!

BTW, in my report, I will include the status of J2ME/SymbianC++ games in current market, where can I find these information?

the title of my report is: Java vs Symbian C++: which is more suitable for cellphone game development?

Hi Olnex,

Try ARCchart - http://www.arcchart.com/ - maybe they can provide this information.

HTH!

Juarez Jr
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil

Super Contributor

Olnex, there are more games developed on Java ME than using Symbian C++. The reasons are many, including:
    - More devices out there supporting Java ME than Symbian -> more lucrative market. Also Symbian devices have been so far higher-end devices, more in the business-user side. (Ok N-Gage was running Symbian)
    - Java ME is capable enough for most of the games

Hartti