Discussion Board

OBEX Server problem with 6230i but not N70

Hi,

I am trying to create a J2SE OBEX object push server that can receive vCards from any bluetooth enabled phone that understands the OBEX push protocol. I have hit a problem - some phones do not see the service I am creating, but others can use it fine. I have the same problem with a sample app provided by Avetana - the makers of the JSR-82 implementation I am using.

Using an N70, I can send a vCard perfectly to the server; but a 6230i doesn't see the server at all (ie it is not even in the list of devices available to send to). I can send using the default windows software without problems from both phones.

I have the same problems with an MS Pocket PC and a Sony Ericsson K700i.
    Technical support at Avetana say they have managed to get the same thing working with Nokia E60 and an SE T610.

Anyone know what is special about the phones that work? Are some OBEX clients more equal than others?

Thanks,

Fritz Meissner
    University of Cape Town

Super Contributor

Re: OBEX Server problem with 6230i but not N70

Are you using your own midlet on the phone to send the vCards. On Series 40 devices the JSR-82 implementation does not support OBEX.

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti
    Are you using your own midlet on the phone to send the vCards. On Series 40 devices the JSR-82 implementation does not support OBEX.

Hartti
    No, I'm using the default "send -> over bluetooth" option from the contacts menu; the only code I've written is the server which is running on a PC (J2SE).

I would debug the service profiles and class of your PC. Test from another device, how the profiles and the classes look like. Either you forgot to set the OBEX class flag or your have several OBEX Push profiles or you have a bug in your OBEX Push profile.

Quote Originally Posted by traud
    I would debug the service profiles and class of your PC. Test from another device, how the profiles and the classes look like. Either you forgot to set the OBEX class flag or your have several OBEX Push profiles or you have a bug in your OBEX Push profile.
    Heh - tried all of these; even looked at how the OBEX push sevice records looked on each phone in order to try and figure out what they would expect from another server. No common denominator.

In desperation, I tried a different USB dongle, with the WIDCOMM drivers it came with, and that solved the problem. This was a schlep in and of itself - took me ages to convince Windoze that I really didn't want the default drivers to install the device. I'm still not sure whether it was the new device, or the new drivers that made the difference.

Fritz

Is it possible to mail me the code for your server, or even better upload it here on the forum?

Hi Fritz,

Can you please share the sample application written in J2SE which works as server. We are trying to do same for N70

Early help would be appreciated.

Lightbulb Re: OBEX Server problem with 6230i but not N70

Hi I experienced the same problem. My phone was able to send a file when windows "receive a file using bluetooth" was running but not when my obex server was running.

I thing that the root of the problem is the following: When I run the windows default obex, the getServiceClasses() function of the device class used as input parameter in the deviceDiscovered function, in another peer returns 0x120000, when I run my obex server the same funtion, in the peer, for the same bluetooth adapter returns ox20000

do you think that this difference may cause the problem?And if so, how can somebody change the Service Class of his/her local device?

I am waiting for your comments!
    Last edited by nikosft; 2006-11-28 at 20:29.

Regular Contributor

I have had a similar problem. (But the Obex Server is an example done in C#).

A workaround for me is to start my Obex Server and then start the built-in "Receive file" application. This application changes the device class and it's recognized by non-S60 phones,too.

Maybe this helps.