Discussion Board

Question Problems with signing / installing / makesis on S60 3rd

Hi all!

I have a big problem with the whole complex.

I have:

Carbide.c++
    Nokia E 60
    Some examples from SDK
    a developer certificate from symbian ( .cer and .csr)
    an UID from the protected range
    a lot of frustration

I need:

An application with the following capabilities:
    NETWORKSERVICES READUSERDATA WRITEUSERDATA READDEVICEDATA WRITEDEVICEDATA like IsvTelCallApp

My questiuons:

What is the relation between UID2 and UID3, witch one ist the UID I got from symbian? Are there any known problems with Carbide.c++ and the whole process of singnig and creating sis?
    At the moment, I´m unable to create juist a simple Hello World app, b/c either I can't generate a sis file or I can't install it and I see no reproducable error.

I have tried a lot of the examples from the net and read a lot of interesting papers about this, but I´m still confused...

I anyone knows a good howto or step-by-step guide, please let me know.

thx for your help,

Sebastian

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Problems with signing / installing / makesis on S60 3rd

UID2 has to be 0x100039CE in case of a GUI application (otherwise it just will not work). UID3 is "the UID". Carbide can sign your sis (you can import your .cer and .key files - check settings for the target build, somewhere in the middle, perhaps "Package Creation" or something). .csr is an intermediate file, you will not need it.

Hi wizard_hu_!

Thanks alot for the help, these 2 lines are the missing link :-)
    Now I can build and install a simple helloworld app (capabilities: NONE)

By now, I face following Problem:

I have: private.key, symbian.cer, UID from Symbian 0xA000XXXX
    I still need: NETWORKSERVICES READUSERDATA WRITEUSERDATA READDEVICEDATA WRITEDEVICEDATA (see previous post)

I face the problem, that the app is "unable to install".
    I was wondering, that in the carbide-generated .pkg file some links point to "\Epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\myAppName_reg.rsc"
    but the ID 0x10003a3f seems to be a standard value.
    Now I tried differend combinations of UID / foldername but never succseed to install.

My question: Is it possible to develop and test an app witch these capabilities WITHOUT an ACS Publisher ID from VeriSign?
    I think, *DEVICEATA always needs an ACS?

2nd quest.: Who or what is controlling the permissions/capabilities? Depends it on my decision in the preferences? Or is there a check against the included libs?

3rd quest.: Some files need to be stored in ...\private\UID\... should this be UID3? if yes, why can´t I change it in Carbide, but habe to search/replace it in some text files by hand?

Thank you (and all others) for your help!!!
    Last edited by subik; 2006-09-29 at 11:24.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by subik
    I have: private.key, symbian.cer, UID from Symbian 0xA000XXXX
    I still need: NETWORKSERVICES READUSERDATA WRITEUSERDATA READDEVICEDATA WRITEDEVICEDATA (see previous post)
    Have you requested these capabilities for the DevCert? If so, just add the caps to the .mmp (or in Carbide). If not, you should request a new certificate. Note that the ...DEVICEDATA caps require ACS Publisher ID.
    I was wondering, that in the carbide-generated .pkg file some links point to "\Epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\myAppName_reg.rsc"
    but the ID 0x10003a3f seems to be a standard value.
    Now I tried differend combinations of UID / foldername but never succseed to install.
    10003a3f is correct and mandatory. The generated .pkg file should work, however it can be a problem that the AppWizard generates totally random UID, but you should modify (have modified) it to unprotected range (0xA... for example).
    My question: Is it possible to develop and test an app witch these capabilities WITHOUT an ACS Publisher ID from VeriSign?
    I think, it is not possible.
    2nd quest.: Who or what is controlling the permissions/capabilities? Depends it on my decision in the preferences? Or is there a check against the included libs?
    The description can be found in the SDK Help (for example "General Information about Symbian OS Platform Security")