Discussion Board

Question ssl with CA certificate

hello,

i've created CA certificate for my application using makekeys.it is successful on my part.but when i tried to port it on the mobile (after creating sis file by including .key n .cer) its showing the error as "file corrupted".

can u pls let me know whats the wrong is going on here?

inaddition to this im using ssl in my application.i read in documents dat ssl supports x509 type certificates only. if so how can i create x509 certificate?

im using sym os v7.0s.when i search for x509certificate class in the html help its showing nothing.

im confused abt 2 things
    1.can i proceed with the CA's root certificate for my ssl communication or shall i create x509 certificate? if so how can i create dis?
    2.once the certificate is created,how can i use this to communicate with the server's certificate?

hope definitely someone will help me.

thanks n regards
    rees

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: ssl with CA certificate

You can create an x509 certificate using the openssl tool http://www.openssl.org but its pretty tricky to use and you have to have some background in the area to properly understand what the documentation for it means and to know what you are doing.

I'm by no means an expert in this area, but I don't think you can simply create a certificate and install it onto the device and then expect that to work for secure connections unless you are connecting to your own server - because the certificates on the device and server you are connecting with have to have a relationship. So obviously if you create your own certificate, x509 or not, its not going to have a relationship with a server's certificate unless you also wrote the server or your certificate is derived from one of the standard certificates used by servers (i.e. certificates issued by Verisign etc.). But as I say, I'm not an expert.

Probably worthwhile you doing some background reading first into PKI and its use in SSL etc. if you're not fully clear on how certificates are used in authentication.

>>i've created CA certificate for my application using makekeys.it is successful on my part.but when i tried to port it on the mobile (after creating sis file by including .key n .cer) its showing the error as "file corrupted".

What do you mean when you say you tried to port the certificate onto the device?
    Last edited by hotcheese; 2006-09-29 at 21:20.

Re: ssl with CA certificate

If you are trying to import both key and certificate to the phone, you should use pkcs12 format. This is the case at least in sos v9.1. If you want to import only the certificate, it has to be in DER format. You can use google for instructions how to convert CER format certificate into formats I mentioned...