Discussion Board

Very poor carbide.c++ tool

I'm using carbide express 1.0 and can't understand why Nokia advises such a buggy tool.

When you work straight forward on one specific project sometimes your applications icon disapper from the emulator. Not until your have removed the hole project with the .metafile folder and reimport all the stuff will repair this.

And a reimport is not so easy because of the missing MMP file export capability. So you have to update the MMP file manually while working with carbide.c++.

But the most impracticalness is the multi-project-support. I have tried to load one of the examples parallel to my apps and now I can't compile either of them. Both (preliminarily working) projects will now fail with a nonsense compiler error, the first tells about a problem with the .rss - file:

*** No rule to make target `../WebClient_reg.rss', needed by `C:/Symbian/9.1/S60_3rd_MR_2/EPOC32/RELEASE/WINSCW/UDEB/Z/private/10003a3f/import/apps/WebClient_reg.rsc'.

Does anybody know a workaround for this?

Super Contributor

Re: Very poor carbide.c++ tool

Yes, MMP export feature is not available in Carbide.c++ Express. It is, however, available in Carbide.c++ Pro/Developer but (unfortunately) they're not free.

About your problem, I can't help further because I never have similar problem with multi-project support.

Antony

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Holler
    But the most impracticalness is the multi-project-support. I have tried to load one of the examples parallel to my apps and now I can't compile either of them. Both (preliminarily working) projects will now fail with a nonsense compiler error, the first tells about a problem with the .rss - file:

*** No rule to make target `../WebClient_reg.rss', needed by `C:/Symbian/9.1/S60_3rd_MR_2/EPOC32/RELEASE/WINSCW/UDEB/Z/private/10003a3f/import/apps/WebClient_reg.rsc'.
    I have also tried, and it works for me. You have not hacked the project a little bit, have you? For example WebClient does not search its WebClient_reg.rss in .., since it searches it in ../data, and it does not use 'import' (/private/10003a3f/import/) in case of WINSCW build.

The WebClient_reg.rss file is located in ..\data.
    And in .../private/10003a3f/import/ you will finde all compiled xxxx_reg.rss files because the application launcher need them.

The problem is, that the tool chain isn't able to "compile" the .rss resource files to .rsc files. It began with an import of a second project in carbide.c++.

In the past I was able to repair such strange behaviour while erasing all project and metafiles. But now is doesn't help.