Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Codewarrior freezes

I've been using Codewarrior 3.1 Pro edition for a couple of weeks now, and I'm experiencing a very annoying problem. Pretty often (right now it seems to happen every time) I build something, it compiles, links and then it just freezes for a period of time (around a minute or so), during which time the whole app is unusable. It doesn't actually seem to do anything, it doesn't seem to access the disk or use much CPU. It's like it's waiting for something to time-out.

Other people here have seen this problem on some computers, while it seems to work fine on most machines. Does anyone have any clue as to what the problem might be?

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Codewarrior freezes

Do you have optimizations on? This is often a sign of optimizations happening.

More information might be useful, ie. are there other applications in the back ground are you loading an emulator or debugging. etc.

Ron

Nokia Developer Expert

also if you are debugging key events etc, you might want to try pressing F11 twice, it sometimes helps.

yucca

Regular Contributor

I don't believe that these freezes are related to optimization, as they happen after linking seems to have finished (I doubt that Codewarrior does any fancy object code reordering or anything like that after linking).

It also has a tendency to freeze mysteriously for a minute or two when I open a workspace, which implies that this is not something that's supposed to happen.

I don't know what other information might be relevant in this case. I'm building for the winscw udeb target. This happens irrespective of whether I have other apps running in the background, but most of the time I don't have anything bus or CPU intensive going on. The emulator is not running.

I'll move this to the CodeWarrior Carbide board to be sure they see it.

I remember a bug many years ago just like this where moving the mouse would break from an apparent freeze but that was on an Mac

Matts any thoughts?

Ron

Regular Contributor

It seems I can minimize the freezes by closing all open files in Codewarrior before building. This might just have been a coincidence, though...

Regular Contributor

It seems it's the Symbolics Window that somehow causes the freezes. If I close it, the freezes disappear.

Regular Contributor

I'm quite sure this problem was present in 3.0 too, though not as bad as in 3.1...

Might also be a bit computer dependant, I switched computers at the same time as I switched codewarrior versions.

Nokia Developer Expert

Do you have any network drives in your path that are not connected? It could be some kind of network timeout issue.

Regards,

Matt P.

Regular Contributor

No, there are no network drives in my path at all.

Nokia Developer Expert

Does the freeze happen every single build, or does it only start happening after the first time or two?

Regards,

Matt P.

Regular Contributor

If the Symbolics window is open, it'll happen every time (and when you open the workspace you also get a freeze). The duration of the freeze seems to vary. I don't have any statistics, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ptrmn
    If the Symbolics window is open, it'll happen every time (and when you open the workspace you also get a freeze). The duration of the freeze seems to vary. I don't have any statistics, though.
    Is the symbolics window open because you did not complete debug operation. There is something nagging in the back of my head that says this is how it worked with Palm when you closed the debug session rather than ending it, something about the emulator having to time out before it would close things.

Anyway this is a thought and see if it does this if your debug cycle actually ends.

Ron

Regular Contributor

I don't know what the correct way of completing debugging would be. Shift+F5 should be okay, right? That doesn't close the symbolics window, though. Are there other ways?

Regular Contributor

Cool Re: Codewarrior freezes

Symbolics window is giving me a lot of problems.

Its not only linking that hangs, a lot of places it just is... slow... as long as the symbolics window is open.

Even things like AutoComplete popup menues are order of magnitudes slower when the symbolics window is open.

As soon as its closed, most things return to normal again.

But...
    Since I like to be part of the sollution, instead of the problem, I wrote this very simple little program to solve it.
    A bit unconventional maybe, but it does its job.

It will sit in your taskbar and monitor windows.
    As soon as you start epoc.exe, it will notice, and then monitor when you close epoc.exe again.
    10-20s after epoc.exe is closed, it will close symbolics windows for you.

If anyone is too paranoid to run binaries, PM me and I will give you source code. For the convenient people, here is the binary:

http://alh.underlandstudios.com/anti...isymbolics.exe