Discussion Board

Network timeout on Series 40 devices

Has anyone encountered an inconvenient network timeout on Series 40 devices? Especially S40 3rd edition feature pack 1 seems to be inflected by the issue. We have observed network connection failing on Nokia 6125 & Nokia 6131, if latency of a server response exceeds 35 seconds. This phenomenon is so coherent it seems to be some kind of build in timeout of device. For end user 35 seconds may seem unacceptable anyway, but when using wireless connection it isn't unlikely at all and shutting down a connection by the device isn't a proper way to deal this kind of situation. Is there any way to disable these timeouts?

Super Contributor

Re: Network timeout on Series 40 devices

Have you tried opening the Connection with Connector.open(String name, int mode, boolean timeouts), and passing false as the timeouts argument? I don't know if it will help because I vaguely remember playing around with those arguments without results a few years ago, but it's worth a try.

shmoove

Thanks for an idea. However, the timeouts flag don't seen to have any effect in this case. I suppose there is a bug in Series 40 networking, causing this kind of functionality.

Super Contributor

hi,
    does that occur with different data plans (service providers) on the same device during tests?
    regards,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by mpo
    Has anyone encountered an inconvenient network timeout on Series 40 devices?
    Yes I'm having the same problem with 3220 (fw v 5.50). In 3220 it seems the HTTP stack implementation tries to "sweep the problem under the carpet" by resetting the first TCP connection, opening another one and retransmitting the original HTTP request. Which is not very smart if you are having a server-side session, or your request has any sort of side-effect on the server....