Discussion Board

What does capability X let me do?

I'm trying to find out what exactly all the capabilities are needed for but I am unable to find any detailed overview. For example, MultimediaDD - what do I need it for? The only thing I could find is the useless "to access multimedia device drivers". Access how? Which drivers? When would that be needed? What APIs use it?

I would like to get comprehensive info on all these but the only thing I see is vague marketing documentation. Is there any useful info about this at all? I have no idea what kind of a certificate I need if I can't see what they allow me to do.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: What does capability X let me do?

It works in a different way: you write a program, and when you are using certain API-s, you will find that they require adding some capabilities to your project.
    Anyway, if you search for a given capability in the SDK Help, you can certainly get some impression on what API-s it affects.

But that approach is so wrong - the certification needs to be planned in advance. I cannot just at one point say "oh, we need a higher level of certification". There are budgets and deadlines - it all has to be planned!

Nokia Developer Moderator

yep, you need to plan a bit, first you make your use-cases, figure out what kind-of tasks you would need to do. Then check which API's could be used to do this task, and then see what kind-of capabilities they require.

Can not really see why this wouldnt' work in your planning phase as well.

yucca