Discussion Board

Exclamation emulator build in wrong location!!

My understanding is that for the emulator shell to show an application it has to be located here- "epoc32/release/WINSCW/UDEB/Z/system/apps/"

My application was, until recently, now it appears here-
    "epoc32/release/WINSCW/UDEB" and doesn't show in the emulator shell.

I am not sure whether it's relevent but the .project file has these lines-

<linkedResources>

<link>
    <name>PSA03_S60_2_6_Emulator_Debug.app</name>
    <type>1</type>
    <location>C:/Symbian/8.0a/S60_2nd_FP2_CW/epoc32/release/WINSCW/UDEB/Z/system/apps/PSA03/PSA03.app</location>
    </link>

<link>
    <name>PSA03_S60_2_6_Phone_(Thumb)_Release.app</name>
    <type>1</type>
    <location>C:/Symbian/8.0a/S60_2nd_FP2_CW/epoc32/release/THUMB/UREL/PSA03.app</location>
    </link>

<link>
    <name>PSA03_S60_2_6_Phone_(ARMI)_Release.app</name>
    <type>1</type>
    <location>C:/Symbian/8.0a/S60_2nd_FP2_CW/epoc32/release/ARMI/UREL/PSA03.app</location>
    </link>

</linkedResources>

My app is called 'PSA03' and the debug line above looks correct to me, can anybody help me get my builds back in the right location??

Super Contributor

Re: emulator build in wrong location!!

You can add this line in the .mmp file

TARGETPATH \system\apps\PSA03

It should be built in the "right" location.

Antony

Exclamation Re: emulator build in wrong location!!

Thanks Antonypr for your response,

This is a Carbide C++ project and doesn't have a .mmp file. Do you perhaps know where the equivalent is in Carbide?

Super Contributor

How about "Target path" in System settings for the ARMI and THUMB targets?

Exclamation Re: emulator build in wrong location!!

Mitts, thanks for your response- "How about "Target path" in System settings for the ARMI and THUMB targets?" - I'm now begining to feel a bit thick 'cos I can't find a 'Sytem Settings' for ARMI/THUMB. In any case the reported problem is with the Emulator, just in case it helps here's the final output para from the console having done a 'rebuild all' for the debug emulator. You can see clearly the project is in the wrong location for the emulator shell to see...

'Building target: C:/Symbian/8.0a/S60_2nd_FP2_CW/epoc32/release/WINSCW/UDEB/PSA03.app'
    'Invoking: WINSCW C/C++ Linker'
    mwldsym2.exe -sym full -subsystem windows -msgstyle parseable -nowraplines -nodefaultlibs -shared -export dllexport -stdlib -m=?_E32Dll@@YGHPAXI0@Z -L"C:\Symbian\8.0a\S60_2nd_FP2_CW\epoc32\release\winscw\udeb" -o "C:/Symbian/8.0a/S60_2nd_FP2_CW/epoc32/release/WINSCW/UDEB/PSA03.app" -search ./src/PSA03App.o ./src/PSA03AppUi.o ./src/PSA03Container.o ./src/PSA03Container2.o ./src/PSA03DbEngine.o ./src/PSA03Document.o ./src/PSA03Model.o ./src/PSA03View.o ./src/PSA03View2.o ./.generated/winscw_uid.o -ledllstub.lib -ledbms.lib -leikcoctl.lib -leikcore.lib -legcc.lib -ledll.lib -leuser.lib -lapparc.lib -lcone.lib -lavkon.lib -lbafl.lib -lefsrv.lib -lestor.lib
    'Finished building target: C:/Symbian/8.0a/S60_2nd_FP2_CW/epoc32/release/WINSCW/UDEB/PSA03.app'
    ' '
    Build complete for project PSA03

Question Re: emulator build in wrong location!!

More information-
    I can rebuild other projects for the emulator correctly, they appear in the shell.

For the problem app (PSA03) I've found that the (as already stated) psa03.app file is placed in "epoc32/release/WINSCW/UDEB" and the remaining files psa03.rsc, psa03_caption.rsc and psa03aif.rsc are placed in "epoc32/release/WINSCW/UDEB/Z"

If I copy them all into a created folder "epoc32/release/WINSCW/UDEB/Z/system/apps/PSA03/" the emulator shell see's the app and it runs normally.

The question to be answered is where the paths are coming from for these incorrect targets, I can't find them anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I've also tried an ARMI build and this compiles to an .sis as expected.

Super Contributor

What I can recommend is one of the following:

1) Add TARGETPATH in the .mmp file and then re-import the file to your Carbide.c++ project.

2) If you don't want to reimport .mmp file, try this tip. Open .cdtbuild file in your Carbide.c++ project folder. Use Notepad to open it (and don't forget to close Carbide.c++ IDE first).

Then search for "winscw.GlobalOptions.targetPath". Change the value of this tag to \system\apps\PSA03".

In my project file, the complete tag looks like this:

<option id="com.symbian.cdt.build.81a.toolChain.winscw.GlobalOptions.targetPath.udeb.812216596" superClass="com.symbian.cdt.build.81a.toolChain.winscw.GlobalOptions.targetPath.udeb" value="\system\apps\helloworldbasic" valueType="string"/>

Antony

Super Contributor

Yes, sorry I can see that you are confused, I missread your question to mean you had the problem witht the ARMI/THUMB builds. For some reason there is not a Target path setting for WINSCW, now that you point this out, so the suggestions from antonypr are your escape routes, it seems.

Super Contributor

It's a little bit odd there is not target path if we use S60 2nd SDK.

If we build using S60 3rd SDK, there is target path option in the Properties dialog.

Antony

Thank you both for your suggestions/replies.

I think you have seen that there isn't a line "winscw.GlobalOptions.targetPath" in the .cdtbuild file for S60 2nd SDK. What adds to my confusion is that this project did build to the correct location until recently. Other projects still do.
    Though I have a work-round it would be better to get back to a normal state, any further suggestions would be appreciated.