Discussion Board

Question How to interact with VoIP on E61?

As you know, E61 has the Voice of IP (VoIP) functionality built in. Providing the right configuration, this phone can make Internet calls. I have successfully configured the SIP settings for my E61, and VoIP works on the device.

My question is: is there any API at all (public / privileged) that allows me to interact and control the VoIP to make an Internet call? For regular voice calls, I can use CTelephony provided by the SDK to dial a number, put conversation on hold, etc. However, there are no references to Internet Call from the Symbian S60 3rd SDK. I'd like to ask the experts there: Is there any Nokia proprietary API that allows me to dial a SIP address or pickup an incoming Internet call?

Thanks,
    Mason

By the way, there is this CTelephony::EstablishDataCall(), what exact is a 'data call'?

Re: How to interact with VoIP on E61?

Does anyone know anything related? Or is this just simply impossible given the current state of the API?

Super Contributor

Have u been able to find any answers to these questions..as i also want to implement something on these lines only.

Cheers

Nokia Developer Expert

Nokia VoIP client internal APIs are not accessible in the currently available SDKs (e.g. S60 3.0/3.1 SDK).

You can either
    1) configure the Nokia VoIP SIP client with VoIP, SIP, WLAN, NAT/FW traversal OMA DM settings or

2) create your own full duplex VoIP client.

More information about Nokia VoIP client:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso..._IP/index.html

Super Contributor

hey buddy..

thanks for the reply..

Can u tell me some of the api's that would be useful in creating a full duplex VoIP client..as the nokia technical library says that :-

---------
    It is not possible to have two ECom plug-ins registered to handle the same media type. The first one installed will always get to handle or reject incoming requests. As the native SIP phone application is registered to handle RTP/AVP it is not possible to re-register for this media type.
    There is currently no workaround for this issue as 3rd-party software cannot override or disable the built-in VoIP solution.

We would require full duplex voice communication(Libraries/APIs which listen from mic and send the rtp packets to other party (convert audio into rtp packets.) and which receives the rtp packets from other party and play them on the speaker (convert rtp packets into audio) and it should be full duplex voice communication.

This is what Symbian knowledgebase says for full duplex:-

The Symbian OS reference design does not support full duplex audio because the audio policy has been designed to be simple 'one-shot' audio playback / recording i.e. only one application will have any audio at any time. This policy is in the non-standardized part of the audio subsystem DevSound and so phone manufacturers are able to include full duplex audio in their own designs if they wish.

At present only the 6630 (based on Symbian OS 8.0a) has included a full duplex audio policy. This is, however, restricted and has to be initialized into full duplex 'mode' via a proprietary request. In order to obtain the information on how to do this, 3rd parties are advised to speak directly to Nokia who may be able to release this information.
    ----------------

Please comment on the same.

Also would u know some basic apis through which i can make an internet telephony call..just the way i can use CTelephony to make a GSM call..?

Cheers
    mayank

Nokia Developer Expert

Mainak,
    At least you would need the Audio Proxy Server (delivered as SIS file) and Multimedia Media DD in your DevCert which is manufacturer grantable capability (APS requires it). APS 2.0 would allow your VoIP application to 1) register as telephony application 2) would ensure proper telephony call interworking between VoIP and CS (e.g. incoming call) 3) provide access to speech codecs G.711/G.729/iLBC (solves the delay) and 4) solves the audio routing issue (loudspeaker to earpiece). In order to get on hold the APS 2.0, you need to submit a private API request from technical support (buy the voucher first from e-store). You can fill in the template to request MM DD from Symbian Signed website and send it to nokia.testing@nokia.com as long as you have the Verisign ACS publisher ID.

See more:
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...S60_3rd_Ed.htm

Written:
    ----------------------------------
    Nokia VoIP client internal APIs are not accessible in the currently available SDKs (e.g. S60 3.0/3.1 SDK).
    (...)
    ------------------------------------

My question is: Is there, at least, API to

We have port our own developped SIP stack on S60 3rd Edition platform successfully but we want to integrate its usage for making Internet Call like Nokia did: adding a menu item in the Standby Application for choosing to make an Internet call. Is there any API to do that (at least the ability to add a menu item in the Standby application for making an Internet Call based on our VoIP client engine instead of the one provided by Nokia).
    Thanks.

Exclamation Re: How to interact with VoIP on E61?

Hi,

Are there any open source sip clients for N80 that can be used ?

Regards

Arpit

Regular Contributor

[QUOTE=pascdore]Written:
    (...)

I also need to use the nokia voip client to make programmatically a call... but I can't find an API that can be used for....
    ( unfortunately in my situation I can't write my own voip client... )

there is a new document in technical library that use CAiwServiceHandler for making voip and video calls.
    Is that an API that can be used for making voip call with nokia voip client ?
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...VoIP_calls.htm
    if is the right api... there some other's document ? i tryed this code but it doesn't work....

or is possible to use SIP stack for making this type of call using nokia voip client ? ( my idea in this case is to find in connection server the voip client connection and use it for making an invite ... but I don't know if is a correct approach or if I can't make a voip call in this mode)

any ideas ?
    or this operation isn't actually possible ?
    Last edited by morost; 2007-07-20 at 11:27.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

Hello all:
    First of all thnx for this post, As I find a person with similar need.

Did you get the reply for this !
    Do we need consult Nokia !

Is there any public APIs available.
    a. To add a item for standard menu while calling...

b. Or how can I grab the key board events/menu options prior to main application..

Plz update this post, even if we CAN'T .

Quote Originally Posted by pascdore View Post
    Written:
    (...)

My question is: Is there, at least, API to

We have port our own developped SIP stack on S60 3rd Edition platform successfully but we want to integrate its usage for making Internet Call like Nokia did: adding a menu item in the Standby Application for choosing to make an Internet call. Is there any API to do that (at least the ability to add a menu item in the Standby application for making an Internet Call based on our VoIP client engine instead of the one provided by Nokia).
    Thanks.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    The problem you have is you cannot access the API on any S60 3rd Ed phone without certain capability only granted to signed apps.
    The emulator will allow the use but in the realphone (E61) you cannot access these functions.
    Please Read the stick post at start of forum
    Jim

pascdore,

you cannot make "internal call" function from the stand-by phone app to be routed
    to your VoIP implementation.

Guys,

As I understad, you need a very simple API just for making VoIP call e.g.
    InternalCall.PlaceCall("SIP-URI")? And Nokia VoIP implementation would
    realize the function call.

thanks,
    paulius
    cheers,
    paulius

[QUOTE=morost;325653]
    Quote Originally Posted by pascdore
    Written:
    (...)

I also need to use the nokia voip client to make programmatically a call... but I can't find an API that can be used for....
    ( unfortunately in my situation I can't write my own voip client... )

there is a new document in technical library that use CAiwServiceHandler for making voip and video calls.
    Is that an API that can be used for making voip call with nokia voip client ?
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/document/...VoIP_calls.htm
    if is the right api... there some other's document ? i tryed this code but it doesn't work....

or is possible to use SIP stack for making this type of call using nokia voip client ? ( my idea in this case is to find in connection server the voip client connection and use it for making an invite ... but I don't know if is a correct approach or if I can't make a voip call in this mode)

any ideas ?
    or this operation isn't actually possible ?
    I've tried this snippit and it works but it seems to default to a CS call not VOIP. I'm trying to do a VOIP call over WLAN that does video. Can the method shown in this example do this?

If not, How would this be done. I see examples of using APS to create Audio VOIP calls, but APS only supports audio codecs. Is there some capability to do video? Am I missing something?

Scott..

Super Contributor

Symbian && Android && iPhoneOS