Discussion Board

On Device Debugging Connectivity Problem

All,

I'm having a problem setting up On Device Debugging for S60 3rd Edition.

When I use the "Device Connection Tool" to "connect" to the "EcmtAgent" on the phone nothing happens (It never connects and does not give an error message).

Any ides? Any tips for debugging the "Device Connection Tool"?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
    mike

P.S:
    - Yes, the EcmtAgent has been started on the phone and is listening for a connection
    - I am using the MS bluetooth drivers
    - Yes, in the MS Bluetooth window, the EcmtAgent Service is checked and assigned to a COM port.
    - I have tried this on both the E61 and the N91 (same results)

Super Contributor

Re: On Device Debugging Connectivity Problem

hi Mike,

which IDE? Eclipse/NetBeans/other?
    Iv'e read (and had myself) topics about failures with NetBeans on-device debuggin,

regards,
    Peter

Thanks for responding Peter.

I use Eclipse, but the problem occurs BEFORE Eclipse enters the picture.

According to the documentation / webcast video:

After I start the EcmtAgent on the phone I need to use the Device Connection tool (From Start->Programs->S60 Developer Tools->3rd Edition SDK->MIDP->Tools->Device Connection) to connect to the EcmtAgent.

This is the step that fails.

If this had worked, the next step would be to configure and use my IDE (Eclipse) to start the debugging.

Hi,
    I have the same problem. Nothing happens when I press "Connect" on the COM port.

Super Contributor

I have no idea if this has anything to do with this problem, but what COM port number are you using. I have had problems with COM ports in general (not with ODD, but unrelated phone projects), when the number gets high....

Hartti

I'm using ports 10 and 4 - these are what the Bluetooth device manager picks.
    BTW when I installed the Debug_Agent_for_S60_Java.SIS I don't see the WLAN debug or the System.out redir.

thank you!

In response to the previous post about why you don't see the system out redir - I had the same problem and here is the solution:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...96&postcount=9

Ok - got as far as getting the EcmtAgent in the Connector tool list, it connects to device (the Debug agent on the device changes to 'Connected') and, when I launch the app from within NetBeans now the "SDK Progress" windows gets past the 'Connect to Agent' step.
    This happens with Eclipse too, after installing the Carbide.j extension.

HOWEVER...

it does fail with the following exception (sorry it does not allow me to copy & paste the full stack trace):

java.io.EOFException
    at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(Unknown Source)
    at com.symbian.tools.j2me.sei.emulator.session.commands.SessionCommand.load(SessionCommand.java:67)
    com.symbian.tools.j2me.sei.emulator.EmulatorLauncher.launch(EmulatorLauncher.java:300)
    com.symbian.tools.j2me.sei.emulator.Main.main(Main.java:49)

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Marco.
    Last edited by massenz; 2007-03-12 at 20:47.

My experience is with Eclipse so I don’t know if this will help with your NetBeans environment but I bet it is the same.

When I launch my app in debug mode, the “Device Connectivity Tool for S60 SDK” window is displayed. In this window it shows you the step that it is currently on during the launching process. As you mentioned in your post, one of the steps is “Connect to Agent” and the last step is “Done”.

In my environment, I get to the “Done” step but then the phone just sits there waiting and waiting. When I check out the status of the connection in the “Device Connectivity Tool for S60 SDK”, I see the connection status has changed from “Connected” to “Not Connected”.

What I have to do to get things working is to re-establish the connection by hitting the “Connect” button in the “Device Connectivity Tool for S60 SDK” and re-start my application by launching it again from within Eclipse. I have to do this about 10 times before the connection stays up and things magically work.

Let me stress that I make no code changes to make things work – I just blindly keep re-attempting the same thing over and over and eventually it works.

One more thing, during my many attempts I frequently notice exceptions in the Carbide J console saying things like “index out of bounds exception”, a couple of times I have even seen “out of memory exception” but eventually things do work.

To my way of thinking, this problem is not related to my code because these problems happen well before my code is ever executed – it happens during the setting up of the On Device Debugging environment. I have asked about this problem in another thread but no one else seems to be having this problem.

I am really interested in learning about what you are experiencing. Please post again to let us all know the outcome.

Regular Contributor

well i have tried a couple of times and my one launches that same eofexception error when it tries to connect to the agent. i am using netbeans 5.5 by the way

Hey guys,

is there any insight on this topic?
    With a E60 phone I can use the On-Device debugging from eclipse over Bluetooth with no problem. However with a 6120 phone I get the same EOF exception at exactly the same spot - Connect to Agent. No changes between attempts, just a phone switch.
    Can someone help?

Regards

Hi msp,
    I have the same problem, did you find any solution?

Thank you,
    mike