Discussion Board

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

New to Symbian and Carbide C++

Hi everybody,
    I'm new to Symbian. But I'm good in C/C++, and though of stating development in Symbian platform. Can somebody help me finding a starting spot in doing development in symbian platform using carbide C++. e-book/tutorial will be grate.
    And also I would like to know is't possible to do Symbian kernel level developments using carbide C++ (like kgcc/gcc in linux to write modules in linux kernel). If not what are the possible alternatives to do such things in C/C++ environment.

thanks a lot in advance,

stmichael161

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: New to Symbian and Carbide C++

All SDKs - and the Carbide itself too - include some getting started guide. You can get one from http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...16-3.0-mr.html (if you have a specific device, you can find out its S60 version on www.forum.nokia.com/devices). It is sure that you will need to get ActivePerl (from www.activestate.com) if you have not got one yet.

Thanks wizard_hu for quick reply.
    Of course ActivePerl is intalled. infact all the software necessities are with me now (SDK's) and have installed. I just needed starting guid (i mean programming stuff;tutorial or something;hello world). still I wont be using the actual devices but only the emulaters though PC suit's r with me already.

Hi stmichael161,
    You can create HelloWorld application using wizard from carbide. You can use it as a starting point.
    For help, you can use SDK Help that you get when you install the SDK.

best regards,
    Ronald

thanks ronald.

Regular Contributor

Post Re: New to Symbian and Carbide C++

All that tools required sequence installations, otherwise it wont work

Ok right. So what would be the correct sequence. already I know that Activeperl must installe before the SDK's(for example Nokia S60 developer SDK)

Network Monitpring Report

Hi everybody,

In one of my my new projects, it's required to get the NMR by the phone. I'm new to Symbian, in fact mobile phone OS's. I'm not sure it's possible to retrive NMR which receive from the Base stations. what i need to do is write a symbian application to get the NMR and do some processes. could somebody help me on tat. What i really want to know is the feasibility of such a operation in symbian platform(could it be possible to retrive NMR by executing a symbian application).

thanks a lot in advance

mike

hello there my name is ketan mujumdar i need very basics of carbide c++. i am using version 1.3 may i get any refrance if yes please let me know on this email id ketanmujumdar1@gmail.com

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ketanmujumdar View Post
    hello there my name is ketan mujumdar i need very basics of carbide c++. i am using version 1.3 may i get any refrance if yes please let me know on this email id ketanmujumdar1@gmail.com
    Welcome to the Forum!!

You have a few tutorials/screencasts etc on carbide
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso...s/carbide_cpp/

Note: The thread you hijacked is very old, its better to start a new one with specific query to be answered in the forum and not mailed to you directly as it could help somebody else who is looking for the same information that you are

Hi,

To all the newbies I am a newbie too but I found that
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com
    http://www.newlc.com

to be a great forums where questions to all the queries are answered like how to begin and any question related to any api or class is answered.

And you could find any detailed document or pdf from forum.nokia.con
    Just use the search it will give you lot of useful information.

Regards,
    Sriky

Regular Contributor

Hi im anwar.
    Im having new project called sms filtering for symbian phone. So i just found this carbide.c++ programming software to develop software for symbian phone. Im still new and looking forward to know it better from any1 of u. Im used to c++ basics, but the combination of Open C kinda confused me a litle, and the files used in coding. In C++ we can create the header and the cpp files. but im not sure what is all the .hlp, .h, applicationview.cpp and all that can i have some1 to explain it? please..
    Besides, i have error with hello world which stated that unable to open header file which include the user ID.

Looking forwards reply.
    u can email me anwaruddin@gmail.com
    Last edited by anwar21387; 2008-09-14 at 10:43.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by anwar21387 View Post
    Hi im anwar.
    Im having new project called sms filtering for symbian phone. So i just found this carbide.c++ programming software to develop software for symbian phone. Im still new and looking forward to know it better from any1 of u. Im used to c++ basics, but the combination of Open C kinda confused me a litle, and the files used in coding. In C++ we can create the header and the cpp files. but im not sure what is all the .hlp, .h, applicationview.cpp and all that can i have some1 to explain it? please..
    Besides, i have error with hello world which stated that unable to open header file which include the user ID.

Looking forwards reply.
    Hello Anwar,

Welcome.

.hlp file is Help file, you may wish to use for Context Sensitive Help.
    I would suggest you to go through this Workbook before proceeding further. Symbian OS Basics

You can also read some books prior to develop for Symbian OS.

You would find good material in SDK help and on Forum Nokia Wiki. Just follow the link in my signature.

You can, of course, ask any question if you find any difficulties but reading some basics is pre-condition.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Regular Contributor

THank u kiran, im actually looking for dis basic for symbian. Ill look trough it, and see what i can do. Thanx alot again for yr help.

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    Hello Anwar,

Welcome.

.hlp file is Help file, you may wish to use for Context Sensitive Help.
    I would suggest you to go through this Workbook before proceeding further. Symbian OS Basics

You can also read some books prior to develop for Symbian OS.

You would find good material in SDK help and on Forum Nokia Wiki. Just follow the link in my signature.

You can, of course, ask any question if you find any difficulties but reading some basics is pre-condition.

Dear All,

I try to download the symbian os basic pdf file from this link.http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._1_en.pdf.html

I download it successfully, but when i open the document it says " There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired.

Can any one send this document to dranand.chandran@gmail.com. Please. if not suggest me to download the document with out any damage.

Thanks
    Anand