Discussion Board

How do I view .rss compile errors

I spent an very long time trying to get a simple hello world app running. I was importing the project from an MMP file from an old version of the SDK. I finally figured out there was an issue in the RSS file which was preventing me from building the RSG file. I've fixed that and now things work.

My question is this took a long time because the console in carbide.c++ was not letting me view the error in the RSS file, but it just reported that it couldn't find the RSG file. Is there a way to view the errors from this stage of compile? If I watch the console closely it looks like we finish with this stage of compiling and then clear the console. Then after this clear the only errors that are left in the console report it couldn't find the rsg file. What I want to see is why I couldn't generate the rsg file (ie errors in the rss file). How do I view this from with in carbide?

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: How do I view .rss compile errors

This sounds very strange. Are you running Express or Pro, and what SDK are you using with it?

Currently I am using express. Yesterday I was using S60 3rd edition, but today I uninstalled that and installed S60 3rd edition FP1. Neither one mentioned errors.

I just looked into it a little more. I found that most errors I add to the rss file get reported correctly. The problem with a silent failure only happens if you include a file that doesn't exist. For example when I add the following line to an rss file (assuming there is no foo.h) is when I see the problem.

#include <foo.h>

The fact that it seems to be only this much smaller problem makes me feel better about carbide.

Regular Contributor

I also spent an very long time trying to get a simple hello world app running. I used the SDK Series60_v21_CW and I made a new project from the templates. The first time I built the application it worked fine. Then I tried to change something. I tried it with the text "test" displayed in the top right corner of the emulator window. That worked. I tried to change the names of the menu entries and the "Hello world" itself. But there was no change in the emulator. The .rss file was not rebuild. Even with "Clean project" there was no change.
    I found out that I have to delete the .rsc file in the emulator directory and then rebuild the project. But, mribble, where could you find error messages? When I build the project I get a warning of make that some file could not be found. The last message, however, is that the build is complete.
    Last edited by KarstenBln; 2006-10-12 at 15:05.

When I force the error in my rss file I can view it in either the Problems window or Console window at the bottom of carbide's gui.

Did you try forcing a rebuild all? You can do that by right clicking on your project on the side window in the C/C++ Projects window and then selecting rebuild all.

Regular Contributor

I tried build (after changing the .loc file or the .rss file only), I tried rebuild and I tried clean and build which can be found in the project menu. There was no difference regarding the .rsc file (BTW: Not rsg, I've corrected it in my posting).

It's funny, there wa no note about the .rss file when I did the build. After I put the error into it, there was the noteincluding the error message. I removed the error again but there were still the note about building the .rss file. This time with a success message, of course. (Always doing a full rebuild)
    But next time the note about building the .rss file has vanished again.

The .rsc file has not been overwritten by the newer version. That's the main problem (see the timestamps):
    Verzeichnis von C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_v21_CW\Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\z\system\apps\Karsten4

12.10.2006 16:22 183.628 Karsten4.app
    12.10.2006 16:22 1.724 KARSTE~1.LIB Karsten4.app.lib
    12.10.2006 16:11 203 Karsten4.rsc
    12.10.2006 14:42 43 KARSTE~2.RSC Karsten4aif.rsc
    12.10.2006 14:42 47 KARSTE~1.RSC Karsten4_caption.rsc