Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question How an obeserver find that a contact being retrieved from Contact database?

Hi,
    Is there anyway to find that a contact is being retrieved.
    As because I do not find any such event type enum in TContactDbObserverEventType.

PLz heklp thanks
    -Anand

Super Contributor

Re: How an obeserver find that a contact being retrieved from Contact database?

Quote Originally Posted by anand_zain76
    Hi,
    Is there anyway to find that a contact is being retrieved.
    As because I do not find any such event type enum in TContactDbObserverEventType.

PLz heklp thanks
    -Anand
    If by retrieve you think of reading a contact from database the answer is no. Can you explain for what do you need this?

Regular Contributor

Question Re: How an obeserver find that a contact being retrieved from Contact database?

Hi
    Actually following are my objectives:

1. I want to add location related information (like lattitude, longitude,etc)from PhoneBook app to landmark datbase instead of contact database.

So I want some way so that I could redirect or copy that location realed information of the contact to landmark database.

2. In the same way when a contact is being retrieved and if that contact was commited with location info.. then that location info must be fethced from the landmark database.

So I need to know how can I trap the event or in some other way I can put back that location related info into PhoneBook app.

Thanks for your regards
    Anand Jain

Super Contributor

Hi
    Actually following are my objectives:

1. I want to add location related information (like lattitude, longitude,etc)from PhoneBook app to landmark datbase instead of contact database.

So I want some way so that I could redirect or copy that location realed information of the contact to landmark database.

2. In the same way when a contact is being retrieved and if that contact was commited with location info.. then that location info must be fethced from the landmark database.

So I need to know how can I trap the event or in some other way I can put back that location related info into PhoneBook app.

Thanks for your regards
    Anand Jain

For the first point you can solve your problem by "watching" the contact changed event (which will be in fact two events....one for remove item and one for adding item)...but you'll do this from an external application not from the phonebook.
    For the second point...there is no solution, the phonebook will read the contact from the contact database. You can't develop any hook to redirect this call.

If you have the source for PhoneBook you can change this call...or you can work directly with your landmark database.
    If you develop your own phonebook application then is quite simple simple you have the control of the bussiness logic (eg. write in 2 databases but read only from one).

Regular Contributor

Question Re: How an obeserver find that a contact being retrieved from Contact database?

Hi ,
    Is there anyway , so we can put observer to DBMS APIs ( as these APIs, I think, are used by the Contact mode) so that I could be found that rowset are being traversed for the retrival..?

thanks
    Anand

Super Contributor

Hi ,
    Is there anyway , so we can put observer to DBMS APIs ( as these APIs, I think, are used by the Contact mode) so that I could be found that rowset are being traversed for the retrival..?

thanks
    Anand
    No there is not such event. You can check TContactDbObserverEventType to see all available db events