Discussion Board

Question Self signed cert for SSL

Hi

I know this question has been delt with quite a few times already, but I haven't found any answer on my particular problem. It is not about signed the midlet, but to import a certificate to be able to connect to a server with a self-signed cert.

I'm doing a project for school, where I've written a simple https-server (j2se) and a client (j2me). I've signed my own certificate for testing purposes, and imported it to the WTK. It works just fine on the emulator. Now I need to import the certificate to a 6230 and an N70 in order to demonstrate how the solution works. If everything runs fine, the plan is to get a real signed certificate from verisign so that we won't have to export the cert to every single phone for our many customers.

Could anyone please be so kind and enlighten me a bit here, it feels like I'm rather lost.

Thanks a lot in advance
    Pontus Palmenäs

Re: Self signed cert for SSL

Thanks, I've read that thread now and it seems to contain a lot of useful information. What still bugs me a bit though, is that this seems to apply for code signing, is this the same process as importing the certificate for SSL?

Re: Self signed cert for SSL

I have applied the self signed certificate for SSL successfully. On a nokia 6600 though and not on the devices you mention. And that might make a difference.

On nokia 6600 in the menu Tools -> Settings -> Security -> Certif. Management -> [my selfsigned sertificate] -> options -> Trust settings you can change the option for SSL to yes.

Quote Originally Posted by pikzel
    is this the same process as importing the certificate for SSL?
    Yes, however, forget about Nokia Series 40 1st and 2nd Edition devices like your Nokia 6230. It is possible there too, nevertheless, the work involved does not justify the cost savings against a VeriSign certificate.