Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Wink SDK 1.2 does not work in Carbide.C++

Hello,
    for about 2 weeks now I'm trying to get the development process for a symbian application up and running with Carbide.C++ express. There were lots of strange errors and it seems a few depend on the SDK. I have found the SDK 1.2 (it's not offered on this web site, thank Kiran). I just have a Siemens SX1 for testing.

The first run to build a project using the Hello world example failed. There was a permission error:

Code:
    **** Full rebuild of configuration S60 1.2 Emulator Debug for project Karsten5 ****

make -k clean all 
    rm  C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\DATA\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5.aif  .\src\Karsten5App.o .\src\Karsten5AppUi.o .\src\Karsten5Container.o .\src\Karsten5Document.o  .\.generated\winscw_uid.o  C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5.rsc C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5_caption.rsc  C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5aif.rsc  C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\epoc32\release\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5.app
    process_begin: CreateProcess((null), rm C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\DATA\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5.aif .\src\Karsten5App.o .\src\Karsten5AppUi.o .\src\Karsten5Container.o .\src\Karsten5Document.o .\.generated\winscw_uid.o C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5.rsc C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5_caption.rsc C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5aif.rsc C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\epoc32\release\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5.app, ...) failed.
    make (e=2): Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

make: [clean] Error 2 (ignored)
    ' '
    'Building file: ../aif/Karsten5.aifdef'
    'Invoking: AIF Compiler'
    perl -S epocaifdef.pl -I- -I"C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\epoc32\include" -o"C:/PROGRAMME/Series60_1_2_CW/EPOC32/DATA/Z/system/apps/Karsten5/Karsten5.aif" ../aif/Karsten5.aifdef
    cpp: C:\Karsten5Aif.rpp: Permission denied
    * cpp failed
    * epocaif.pl failed
    make: *** [C:/PROGRAMME/Series60_1_2_CW/EPOC32/DATA/Z/system/apps/Karsten5/Karsten5.aif] Error 1
    What the hell do these tools want to do in the root directory? I have also experienced that problem with a version 2 SDK. However, I was able to edit the permission. (It's not a private computer but a company's workstation.)

But now there is another problem, I don't know to fix (and still not experienced with another SDK):
    Code:
    **** Full rebuild of configuration S60 1.2 Emulator Debug for project Karsten5 ****

make -k clean all 
    rm  C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\DATA\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5.aif  .\src\Karsten5App.o .\src\Karsten5AppUi.o .\src\Karsten5Container.o .\src\Karsten5Document.o  .\.generated\winscw_uid.o  C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5.rsc C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5_caption.rsc  C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5aif.rsc  C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\epoc32\release\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5.app
    process_begin: CreateProcess((null), rm C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\DATA\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5.aif .\src\Karsten5App.o .\src\Karsten5AppUi.o .\src\Karsten5Container.o .\src\Karsten5Document.o .\.generated\winscw_uid.o C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5.rsc C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5_caption.rsc C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5aif.rsc C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\epoc32\release\WINSCW\UDEB\Z\system\apps\Karsten5\Karsten5.app, ...) failed.
    make (e=2): Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

make: [clean] Error 2 (ignored)
    ' '
    'Building file: ../aif/Karsten5.aifdef'
    'Invoking: AIF Compiler'
    perl -S epocaifdef.pl -I- -I"C:\PROGRAMME\Series60_1_2_CW\epoc32\include" -o"C:/PROGRAMME/Series60_1_2_CW/EPOC32/DATA/Z/system/apps/Karsten5/Karsten5.aif" ../aif/Karsten5.aifdef
    state 0 (164), char  (-1)
    1 stateStack entries
    Reduce by rule 3 (pop#=0)
    goto 1 (0)
    state 1 (0), char  (-1)
    2 stateStack entries
    read L_STRUCT (257)
    shift 14 (81)
    state 14 (81), char  (-1)
    3 stateStack entries
    read L_LABEL (281)
    shift 41 (76)
    state 41 (76), char  (-1)
    4 stateStack entries
    read '{' (123)
    shift 60 (161)
    state 60 (161), char  (-1)
    5 stateStack entries
    Reduce by rule 12 (pop#=3)
    and so on about a thousand of lines.

In both cases the message at the bottom says:

"make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
    Build complete for project Karsten5"

The program works in the emulator (2nd case) but the .sis file can't be built.

And: Why does none of these errors appear in the problems list and why does Carbide tell me, the build is complete?

Any idea how to fix the AIF compile problem?

Thanks,
    Karsten
    Last edited by KarstenBln; 2006-10-24 at 12:42.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: SDK 1.2 does not work in Carbide.C++

Karsten,

I'm sorry, but the S60 1.2 SDK is not supported by Carbide.c++. If you have access to CodeWarrior 2.x or 3.x they should work well with that SDK.

Regards,

Matt P.

Nokia Developer Moderator

You may also try using Visual Studio 6.0, although you will need to get the non-CW SDK for this.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mpinsonneault
    I'm sorry, but the S60 1.2 SDK is not supported by Carbide.c++. If you have access to CodeWarrior 2.x or 3.x they should work well with that SDK.
    Thanks to mpinsonneault for this info. It's a pity. Sometimes, it seems, the world turns too fast for me ... And why does the explanation text of the Hello world example tell me: You can use this template for all S60 2.x and 1.2 SDKs.

I don't have access to Codewarrier. I have found some links to a codewarrier website, but there you can find a lot for different processor types but not for mobiles. And, I think, there is no version to get for free.
    Neither I want to install another another IDE. It took me days to get this Carbide running. If the evaluation is successful we may buy the pro or development version. But this time it does not look like it.
    I guess these versions do not support the 1.2 SDK either, do they?

Also I hope that I will get a new phone so the SX1 will lose importance for me.

Is there any idea for a workaround so far? It seems the AIF compiler ist the only part that fails. I tried to invoke it in a simple DOS window on the command line. It worked without error, but I didn't know the correct directory to start it from. So the result may be not useful.
    Furthermore a build will recreate the makefiles, right? So I need a way to comment the AIF compiler invokation out.

Carbide seems to have heavy problems when more than one SDk is installed. I configured the Hello World project to be built against the SDK 1.2. I did not get a .sis file. Later I have installed the v2 FP3 SDK. Without changing the project I got a .sis file. I had to change the Series60ProductID to make it installable but I did not run on the SX1. The SX1 showed system error.
    Strange!
    Last edited by KarstenBln; 2006-10-19 at 13:37.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

at last I got this working. I still use the Siemens SX1 and the SDK v1.2 in Carbide.C++.

I have deleted all the project stuff and created a new one from the Carbide Template.
    Again I got these thousands of messages when Carbide invokes the perl command of the AIF compiler. For the emulator release that seems not to matter. But a thumb release cannot be built.

I was located in the <workspace>\<project>\src directory and have invoked the perl command by hand exactly like shown in the console window of carbide, except that I had to specify the full path of the epocaifdef.pl file.
    I got a few lines of output. The .aif file was sucessfully created.
    Then I started a rebuild in Carbide. Again those messages appeared but the project was build successfully and a .sis file was made.

The only other thing to get this installed on the SX1 was to change the .pkg file that the Series60ProductID is one matching a version 1.

I'm not really sure that there is no error left in the built files because the perl messages still appear. But the program works like on the emulator.

Regards,
    Karsten