Discussion Board

S60 2nd/3rd Ed. build process

Hi again,

What kind of build process/workflow do you use when you are developing a Symbian project which will be compiled for multiple versions of S60 SDK?

At the moment i mainly use Carbide.VS as Visual Studio has already been bought for other projects. But it seems that it cannot handle old versions (1st and 2nd Ed.) and the new version (3rd Ed.) concurrently. I don't have a lot of experience in using Visual Studio, i'm mainly a UNIX guy. But i'd wish to be able to switch between the SDK's and use preprocessing for the MMP file and some source files, and for some files that has to be recoded completely i would use other sourcefiles.

With a custom Makefile this would be quite easy. But i'm not really sure how easy it is to debug in Visual Studio if i would compile the projects without it.

How do you do it? Or do you use a completely separate codebase and projects in Visual Studio? Visual Studio is not really mandatory, but a good debugger is nice. I need to check Carbide.C++ out more closely, but with a quick look, it didn't seem to support switching between the old SDK's and the new.

Any tips?

Thanks and regards,
    Kaali

Re: S60 2nd/3rd Ed. build process

Quote Originally Posted by Kaali
    What kind of build process/workflow do you use when you are developing a Symbian project which will be compiled for multiple versions of S60 SDK?
    You can use the MACRO in the MMP file for that. This MACRO in turn will #defines for the preprocessing of source code.

Code:
    MACRO	__SERIES60_20__
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaali
    At the moment i mainly use Carbide.VS as Visual Studio has already been bought for other projects. But it seems that it cannot handle old versions (1st and 2nd Ed.) and the new version (3rd Ed.) concurrently...
    If you are using Visual Studio 6 then you are right or else if you are using VS.NET 2003 you can install Carbide.vs which will enable you to use all SDKs. One more thing is there is a free eclipse based IDE: Carbide.c++.

Super Contributor

Carbide.vs certainly does handle both 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition projects. However there is one restriction and that is that there are 2 project types used in Carbide.vs: "Symbian9" and "Classic". The "Symbian9" project type supports S60 3.0 and later while "Classic" supports 1st and 2nd Edition.

If you want develop projects with shared code that span 1st, 2nd and 3rd Edition targets, what you should do is as follows:

- Create 2 Visual Studio/Carbide.vs projects, one of type Classic, and the other of type Symbian9. Mostly you would want to put these in the same solution.

- For those files that are shared between the projects, make one project refer to the files of the other project. If you create the projects in the order of first creating the 1st/2nd Ed (Classic) project, Carbide.vs provides you with a tool to do this, it is a function called Clone. If you first create the 3rd Edition (Symbian9) project you will need to do this manually. Referring to other code is done by using Import Existing Item.

- When done with this, you have 2 projects that point to the a shared set of files (some files can be shared, others belong to just one of the projects). Now those files that will be used in more that one target project most likely need a bit of IFDEF's etc to enable conditional compilation to account for differencences between the two main targets.

To explore this, create a simple Classic project, then apply Clone and study what has happended, there is more information on this in the Carbide.vs Help.

Thanks, this will get me started.